cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec hangs during scheduled job

Dennis_van_Wijk
Level 2
Hi,

We are having a strange issue on our windows 2003 SBS server.

During a scheduled job, the job hangs and it will never finish.

After cancelling the job, the job stays on cancel pending. The only way to reset the job is to restart the backup exec services.

After restarting the services there is a new job scheduled only we cannot eject the tape that is still in the drive.

The drive states that its still active and only a hardware reset of the drive (holding the eject button for 10 seconds) the tape comes out.
the drive does not need cleaning we already checked that.

All seems to work after this but the next scheduled backup will also fail and the only thing left to do is reboot the server.

After rebooting the server there are no clear errors messages in the failed jobs.
only that the job was canceled.

After the above procedure the backup runs fine for a couple of days before the issue returns.

The issue comes up on random times and days.

The server runs the following antivirus software:
mcafee antivirus with protection pilot

There is also one windows xp computer that has the remote agent running to check the backups.

I am hoping that someone can help me with this.

Thank you in advance,

Dennis van WijkMessage was edited by:
dennis van Wijk
7 REPLIES 7

Dennis_van_Wijk
Level 2
Hi Everyone,

I hope that someone can give me some guidelines for this error.

thank you in advance

Dennis

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

It seems that you are getting the errror for scheduled jobs.
When the scheduled job hangs what is the exact error?

Thanks,

Dennis_van_Wijk
Level 2
Hi Sharvari,

That is also a problem after restating the server there is no error message in the log of the job only that the job is failed.

the xml report can not be shown and there is a txt log that has no relevant information.

Thanks,

Dennis

Ben_Ramsey
Not applicable
I am getting this exact problem. Using Backup Exec 11d on Windows 2003 SBS. It's getting very frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

Bin_Fang_2
Level 4
The most likely cause is the remote agent on one of the servers being backed up hanged. To troubleshoot, you may want to divide your backup job into multiple ones based on each server. When the job hangs next time, you know which server is involved and may try to restart that remote agent if possible. If not, you may have to reboot the server.

Stijn_Daelman
Level 2
Hi,

Yesterday evening I encountered the same problem. The job was already running for 18 hours while in normal situations this takes only 3 hours. I could not eject the tape. So I tried to cancel the job. Result: "cancel pending". This morning I went to check: still "cancel pending".

I've ejected the tape by pushing the eject button for a longer time. And I also tried to eject it by selecting eject media in the device screen. I don't know which one of these both actions led to the result, but it ejected anyway. So that problem is solved.

Now it looks like the job is still going on (now already 35 hours). How exactly can I delete the job that is running for the moment concerned that I've already canceled it?

Regards,
Stijn Daelman.

Stijn_Daelman
Level 2
I cancelled the job on the following way: tools/backup exec services/stop all devices
and after that you start all devices again.
So my whole problem is solved.

I've inserted a cleaning tape and hope now that this error doesn't occur anymore.

Greetings,
Stijn.