cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec installed on windows vmware image and not see robotic tape

theseng99
Level 4

Hello,

We use ESXi 4.1 and install windows 2003 standard and install backup exec 2010 r2 but it see wrong tape drive.

We have HP Autoloader 24 slot but on symantec backup exec it see HP tape on stand-alone device, it should see device on Robotic library. And I try to drag it to robotic but it can't put it.

How should we do now? or we need to pass-through tape device to this host.

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

Unless you have a supported Adaptec card, this will not work. You're only going to see the tape drive.

Check the TN below for additional information...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130609&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

Thanks!

theseng99
Level 4

Dear craigv,

We use SCSI channel. I still not clear this information.

• If using a tape drive library (versus using a stand-alone tape drive), the library must be multi-target, and not multi-LUN.

How do I know what is multi-target and multi-LUN?

• Set the tape drive's virtual target ID in the virtual machines configuration to be the same as the physical target ID.

from my picture. our target ID is 3. and I checked with my Robotic Tape have SCSI ID is 3 also? Is it ok?

and my device hardware can't show medium changer.Is it normal on image host?

CraigV

...if you don't use an Adaptec SCSI card it's not going to work!

theseng99
Level 4

I don't understand adaptec SCSI card. what is it? model or brand?

I have HP SCSI card.

CraigV

Adaptec cards are made by Adaptec... www.adaptec.com

The HP card you have won't work...trust me, I've just been down that road after advising that we needed an Adaptec card and it was not followed! You will see the tape drive, not the robotics, even if Windows MIGHT see it.

The first point in the article I posted mentioned this too. So you need to find the Adaptec card that fits into the particular slot you have, and verify with your vendor that it will work in your server. Once done, put it in and it should work.

theseng99
Level 4

If we use pass through command on ESXi. Do you think will it work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSVcnRApZhU

CraigV

...seriously...read the document. You need an Adaptec card to enable proper SCSI passthrough. If you don't have it, it won't work. If you somehow get it to work, it won't be a supported configuration with Symantec...