cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec licensing questions

SGrim80
Level 2

I have some backup exec licensing questions I'm trying to figure out.

Background:  I have a VMWARE farm of 3 bare metal servers and a SAN.  The VCENTER5 windows server manages those 3 bare metal servers.  I have 14 VMs on the SAN spread across those 3 bare metal servers including the VCENTER5 server.  3 of the VMs have SQL installed on them.  2 Microsoft SQL and 1 Sybase SQL.  

I also have a Windows server that is planned to be used for the Backup Exec server.  That server is bare metal.  

Question:  I assume I'd need a Backup Exec license and the Agent for VMware and Hyper-V license.  Some of the servers I'd only need to backup the entire server at the VM level and some I'd need the possiblity to restore an individual file.  

What would I need in licenses to accomplish this?

Thanks for any information you can provide in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In addtion to the Backup Exec license, you would need one (1) Agent for VMware and Hyper-V license per VM host and one Agent for Windows Server for the vCenter server.

The Agent for VMware and Hyper-V license allows you to load the remote agent on any number of VM's hosted on the licenced host and this will allow you to restore individual files/folders from your VM backups.  However, to restore individual items from applications like Exchange, SQL Server databases, you would need to have one (1) Agent for Applications and Databases licence per application/database per server.  So you would need 2 Agent for Applications and Databases for your SQL Server machines.  BE does not support Sybase SQL.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In addtion to the Backup Exec license, you would need one (1) Agent for VMware and Hyper-V license per VM host and one Agent for Windows Server for the vCenter server.

The Agent for VMware and Hyper-V license allows you to load the remote agent on any number of VM's hosted on the licenced host and this will allow you to restore individual files/folders from your VM backups.  However, to restore individual items from applications like Exchange, SQL Server databases, you would need to have one (1) Agent for Applications and Databases licence per application/database per server.  So you would need 2 Agent for Applications and Databases for your SQL Server machines.  BE does not support Sybase SQL.

SGrim80
Level 2

You are referring to a VM host as the bare metal hypervisor server correct?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

That is correct. In your case you will need 3 Agents for Vmware and Hyper-V

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes. That is correct