cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec server unable to link to remote agent for linux

usersky
Level 4

I have installed symantenc back exec for window server on window server platform (A).

And install remote agent for linux on another linux server(B).

Installation goes smoothly, all the servers able under same domain and same gateway.

My main problem is that under the backup exec media server(A) on the unix icon I unable to link to server(B). No folder being seem.

Kindly enlighten me how to establish the link between agent and backup exec media server together.

Is it the license issue or need additional plug-in application?

This is my first time installing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tech29
Level 6
Hi There,

I will recommend to get the RALUS for 12.0 instead of upgrading your BE server to 12.5, because if you upgrade your BE from 12.0 to 12.5 then you will again need to get all the license keys for BE 12.5. The license keys which you currently have are for BE 12.0 and would not work with BE 12.5.

So install RALUS 12.0 and let me know if that works.

Regards,
tech29

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

tech29
Level 6

what version of Backup exec are you using? 

SystemsAdminAS
Level 5

usersky,

You will at least need a valid license for a RALUS agent installed on the BE server (which may be the issue).  Also, you may need to update the Linux agent to match hotfixes you may have applied to your BE server.

I'm actually having the same issue as you - my Ubuntu 9.10 box is running an updated RALUS agent alongside Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 with BE 12.5 installed and patched.  I can't get the folder tree for the Linux box to populate in a selection list due to 'access denied' errors for the authentication account, which I'm using root.

usersky
Level 4

i using 12.5.

Is it need to enter the key for RALUS onto the backup exec media server?

tech29
Level 6

Yes, You need to enter the license key for RALUS on the media server.  in earlier versions of Symantec (10d and below), Symantec used to provide free support for UNIX but now you have to purchase RALUS agent in order to backup linux machine.

Regards,

tech29

usersky
Level 4

Thanks SystemsAdminAS for your information.

One more question how to activate the RALUS key on BE server?

usersky
Level 4

Thank tech29 for your information.

I have already purchase the license key for RALUS, as i know that latest version only give 60 trial day.

tech29
Level 6

Hi,

You just need to add the license key on the media server the way you add other license keys.

The link below should help you..

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/307919.htm

Regards,

tech29

usersky
Level 4
Really thanks for your help. I will try it out later.

usersky
Level 4

sorry i made an mistake. for the backup exec version is 12.0 sp1 and the remote agent is 12.5.

Even i have key in the RALUS at the BE server, still unable to see. Does it mean that i need to update my BE server to 12.5 in order to match the remote agent version.

tech29
Level 6
Hi There,

I will recommend to get the RALUS for 12.0 instead of upgrading your BE server to 12.5, because if you upgrade your BE from 12.0 to 12.5 then you will again need to get all the license keys for BE 12.5. The license keys which you currently have are for BE 12.0 and would not work with BE 12.5.

So install RALUS 12.0 and let me know if that works.

Regards,
tech29

tech29
Level 6

hi again,

For downloading RALUS 12.0.. you may refer to following link:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ralus-agent-linux-version-12-be-12-download

regards,
tech29

usersky
Level 4
Thank for your advice. Lucky I have not upgrade my BE server yet, if not i will face a lot of license issue.