cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec won't backup more than one share CIFS netapp

manuelcp
Level 3

Hi.

I’m Using Backup exec  2012, and backup share (CIFS) on  netapp without NDMP, and ‘I’m facing a problem since one week …

the problem is:

With several shares selected, and when run a backup job, after backing up the 1st share Backup exec give an error(Backup failed), and job stop on error
I made several teste with several jobs (allways the 1st share its ok and the second share give error) .

On backup job (edit/creation) I can browse all shares (the  user have admin rights on backup server  and NetApp filer).

The detail information on the job log (for first share) the one working well:

Set type               : Backup
Set status             : Completed
Set description        : ap2fssia01 Backup 00168-Incremental

Resource name          : \\server\1stshare
Logon account          : SGGP Backup Administrator
Encryption used        : None

Agent used                     : No
Advanced Open File Option used : Yes

The detail information on the job log  (for 2nd and followings shares),

Set type               : Backup
Set status             : Completed
Set description        :

Resource name          : \\server\2ndShare
Logon account          : SGGP Backup Administrator
Encryption used        : None

Error                  : e000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly.
Agent used                     : Yes
Advanced Open File Option used : Yes

The only difference is that Backup exec  for first share “Agent used = no”  that’s correct we are using CIFS in Netapp without DNMP.

The second and next shares backup exec  says “Agent used= Yes”, and abort the bakup job.

The error : Access is denied to Remote Agent.  Check the login account for the specified device

any help will be appreciated

BR

Manuel

11 REPLIES 11

Sym-cr
Level 5

It's weird to me that, the same account successfully backs up the first share and fails on another. However, you can try creating and using another account for backup after adding the same in both BE and NAS.

Thanks!!  

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See Colin Weaver's comment in the discussion below for a possible solution

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netapp-san-not-able-backup#comment-8352731

Sym-cr
Level 5

Hi Manuelcp,

Not sure how port 10000 can come into picture while backing up set of shares and the backup fails after backing up first share, as the control connection seems to be successfully established between the BE Media Server and NAS in the beginning of the backup job. However, you can try changing the port and other steps (as per the link provided by pkh), see if we get any success.

Thanks!!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

you can try changing the port

Colin Weaver's suggestion is to block the outgoing traffic on port 10000.  He did not suggest changing the port which will not work anyway.

Sym-cr
Level 5

Oh...missed. Got it now. Thanks pkh for correcting me. smiley

manuelcp
Level 3

I've check all point PKH and https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netapp-san-not-able-backup#comment-8352731 points.

I’ve change NMDP port to be different 10000, (even not necessary) I blocked outbound port to the Netapp IP address, and no  luck  (I haven't restart BE2012 perhaps I must do...).

Any way I found a workaround, I made one job by share, now I have 3 shares, and 3 backup jobs, and the first test work fine.

So, for the moment, it fits our needs, (perhaps even better as we have more control granularity).

thanks for you support

Manuel

pkh
   VIP    Certified

By changing the NDMP port to something other than 10000, you have negated your effort to block the outgoing on port 10000.  You should change the NDMP port back to 10000 while maintaining the block of outgoing traffic from port 10000.

manuelcp
Level 3

I change the port back to 10000 and add block the trafic outgoing from port 10000, after that all jobs gives the error .

The job failed with the following error: The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Agent for Windows. The correct version of the Agent for Windows must be running on the target computer

After change the port to 12000 (other than 10000) the backup jobs start working again ..

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What is the version of Ontap that you are using?

You should consider opening a support case with Symantec.

manuelcp
Level 3

here the version Netapp version:

NetApp Release 8.1.2 7-Mode: Tue Oct 30 19:56:16 PDT 2012

... I just opened a supoort case at symantec

manuelcp
Level 3

In fact I discovery I had many other issues, (not only backing up more than one share on CIFS Netapp,

On the selection list (for windows machines) only shares appears (not local drives or system state), also the test credentials fails (even BE 2012 backup the data), the trust with windows machines fails (even install, and reinstall agents)

I realize that all my problems becomes from the ndmp port.

If no ndmp port is defined on windows services, Windows machines are well seen and managed by BE20120 but not at all the CIFS on netapp. If I defined the port 10000 Windows machines are well seen and managed by BE20120 but not at all the CIFS on netapp, if I define a ndmp port other than 10000, CIFS on Netapp work well but only shares on windows servers and problems on trust and credentials test…

So, at this point had two possibilities or I have windows machines OK, or I have CIFS on Netapp working well.

At this point I configured (as Colin Weaver proposed) the windows firewall  to block outbound traffic for netapp (port 10000) and I can do everything backup windows machines (include local drives), and CIFS on Netapp.

The only issues to be solved is:

1.when I test the credentials on CIFS shares I get test failed, but when job starts the data is backed up correctly.

2. when CIFS jobs finseh allways a message "job complete with execeptions)....

Still to test again several CIFS shares on one job, (but it is not a big issue), now is time to go bed ….hope every now are OK (lets wait for finish backups jobs)

Tomorow the Simantec support will call me regarding the jobs with multi CIFS shares, that I don't know if still ocurrs after the port changes....

note : mean while our storage (library) was damaged, so, a big fight for me.