cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup fail - e00084ed - A hardware error occurred

esco
Level 4

I am having trouble in backing up my servers to tape. I am able to back up to disk. However when I try to backup the system state of my server to tape the backups fail with the error e00084ed - A hardware error occurred. However when I try to backup a single folder of size 3MB to tape I can backup.

Attached find the screenshot.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

esco
Level 4

It was due to a termination issue. The hardware vendor fixed it.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What happens if you try to backup a larger folder/file to the tape ? Is this successful or not ?

Does only system state backup fail with this error or does it fail if you backup other files/folders ?

Would recommend using Symantec drivers for the tape drive and disable any HP Insight services if present.

Do have a look @ the Event Viewer - System logs and check if there are any hardware related errors or warnings..

lmosla
Level 6

In addition to VJware, make sure your firmware is updated and for further troubleshooting, download the HP Library an Tape Tool   http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/home/?sp4ts.oid=406729

esco
Level 4

I have not updated anything in the system as mentioned by Imosla.

However, I was successful in backing up a folder of size 2GB and 23GB. However i get these messages in application log

5108] 05/06/14 16:25:45 Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 03:00:04:00 - Device error 1117 on "\\.\Tape0", SCSI cmd 08, 11 total errors

%2
%3
%4
%5
%6
%7
%8

[6124] 05/06/14 16:24:35 Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 00:00:04:00 - Retry Logic: Original settings restored on device: HP       Ultrium 3-SCSI  

%2
%3
%4
%5
%6
%7
%8

[6124] 05/06/14 16:24:35 Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 03:00:04:00 - Refresh handle on "\\.\Tape0", SCSI cmd 00, new handle 6c0, error 0

%2
%3
%4
%5
%6
%7
%8

[6124] 05/06/14 16:24:35 Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 00:00:04:00 - Retry Logic: Retry logic was engaged on device: HP       Ultrium 3-SCSI  

%2
%3
%4
%5
%6
%7
%8

[6124] 05/06/14 16:19:35 Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 03:00:04:00 - Device error 1117 on "\\.\Tape0", SCSI cmd 0a, 10 total errors

%2
%3
%4
%5
%6
%7
%8

and the following errors in system log

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1.

VJware
Level 6

These denote possible issues with the hardware. Do update the drivers, controller firmware etc. Consider running vendor diagnostics against the tape drive to rule out any hardware issues.

esco
Level 4

can you eloborate a little bit more, like what drivers and controller firmware

VJware
Level 6

Drivers for the tape drive and drivers, firmware update for the storage controller to which the tape drive is attached to.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Check the the HBA does not support RAID. BE only support a very limited number of HBA with RAID capability. See this document http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70907

esco
Level 4

My hardware vendor has replaced the drive with a new one. I even have installed the hot fixes available for backup exec 2010 R2 SP1 through live update. But still I am facing the same problem. Yesterday I was able to backup data from a local folder which was of 40 GB. However if I try the system state backup or backup an entire drive I am getting the error.

If I try to backup a certain folder in a remote server I get the same error. But I can backup another folder in the same server of more size.

Are there any settings that I need to consider during a backup or any ideas?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
BE 2010 R2 is rather old. You should upgrade to BE 2012 R3 which is the latest and contains some fixes for system state problems. Your existing license keys would work with R3. You can download R3 from http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso After upgrading to R3, you should run LiveUpdate a couple of times until you have SP4 and the latest hotfixes. You then push out the remote agent after this

esco
Level 4

I have updated to BE 2010 R3 SP4 and I have started a backup job of system state. It seems to be running fine. However, the backup seems to be running at a low speed, 1 to 12MB/min. It has been 2 hours since I started the backup job now. Can it be due to a setting or configuration issue?

lmosla
Level 6

Hi 

Try recreating the backup job and then repush the agent out to your remote servers to make sure everything is patched at the same level.

esco
Level 4

The backup job is a new job and I am trying to get the system state of the single server to which the backup exec is installed.

After 8 hours I found the job has failed.

VJware
Level 6

Are you able to run a successful non system-state backup and with a good throughput ?

esco
Level 4

Yes...it is above 100 most of the time. So can it be due to a setting?

esco
Level 4

It was due to a termination issue. The hardware vendor fixed it.