Job name : Backup 00002 Job type : Backup Job status : Failed Job log : C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEX_SERVER_00189.xml Server name : SERVER Selection list name : Server Backup
Device name : IBM 1 Target name : All Devices (SERVER) Media set name : Keep Data Infinitely - Do Not Allow Overwrite
All Media Used LTO000005
Error category : Job Errors Error : e0008821 - Job was recovered as a result of Backup Exec RPC service starting. No user action is required. For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34849
Please i need your help. the backup was working fine and suddenly stopped working.
Windows 2003 STD server 32 bit
Daily backup (full -COPY) 5 days in week
I have checked but i don't think it's applicable to my case
1. Go to Administrative Tools
2. Expand Component Services
3. Double click on the Computers folder on the right pane
4. Double click on the My computer icon in the right pane
5. Double click DCOM Config
6. Search for the application referred to by the CLSID
7. Right click the application and select Properties
8. Click on the Security tab
9. Under "Launch and Activation Permissions" change from customize to default.
10. Click OK
In step 6 i don't know which application. and in thread he said Verify Event ID 10016 exist. but i don't have this event.
I have also found this article:
Btw: Is it now failing alsways, or just once ?
And is there anything changed in your configuration, like Windows updates installed ?
Thank you for your reply about the Slipstream. actually the windows installed and running without any issue since more than 2 years. the backup was working fine before about 3 weeks ago. but after that it's always failing.
I can confirm that i did not install any new updates for windows recently or before getting the problem . the only changes i can remember that i have promote my server to a domain controller by installing active directory.
Thank you in advance
Okay, thanks for your update.
Did you check for Backup Exec updates ?
Any messages in the eventlog related to BE ?
Did you restart the server since the problems occur ?
And please not that BE2010R3 is also available.
1- The BE is up to date. i have run the liveupdate
2-i have only one message but it's not showing at the beggining/end of the backup. it appears in different times not concurrent with the backup. the error is :RSM cannot manage library Tape0. Failed to communicate with device or obtain device setup information. i did some research and disabled the removable storage device. but the job keep failing.
3- the server restarted more than one time.
Is it possible this is happened after i promote the server to DC....but i'm wondering what chould the reason for that.
Moreover, i'm using another backup (windows backup) to external HDD after finishing the BE (just to be on the safe side in case of any crash) and all of that because the BE is not working well
Ah, since you have promoted the server to a domain controller some security settings may have been changed.
You can try to run a repair on Backup Exec.
Otherwise check the DCOM settings you mentioned in your second post, there are some DCOM's starting with BE.... (from Backup Exec).