Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup failed - An unknown error has occurred

Nelson_Nunes
Level 3

Hi,

I have three jobs that failed this week with the error:

"(Server: "SEDEMAN101") (Job: "sedenas02.cmloures.pt--- DIFF Semanal - LTO5") sedenas02.cmloures.pt--- DIFF Semanal - LTO5 -- The job failed with the following error: An unknown error has occurred"

I can't get any specific information on what could be wrong. Last week these three backups went well, with no errors. Nothing was changed...

The link to the Knowledge Base article on the "Job Failed" Alert is the following: v-79-57344-34036.

I already read that and it does not appear to shed some light on what could've happened...

On Symantec Backup Exec 2012, I can also see the information (Tape Alert Message), regarding three tapes (I don't know if it is relatd or not...):

"Warning - You have loaded a cartridge of a type that is read-only in this drive.
The cartridge will appear as write-protected"

The three LTO3 tapes that gave this error are normal tapes (around 50 loads each, aprox.) and they are not overwrite protected. In fact they were just used last month.

Has this "Unknown error" appeared to someone in these circumstances...? Any ideias on what happened..?

Grateful for any help,

Thanks,

Nelson

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
LTO5 tape drives cannot write to LTO3 tapes. The error message indicates that you are using a LTO5 tape drive

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
LTO5 tape drives cannot write to LTO3 tapes. The error message indicates that you are using a LTO5 tape drive

Nelson_Nunes
Level 3

OK, thanks!

I could've swear that I've already made some backups in LTO3 tapes on these tape drives... However I'm going to retry the job on the weekend to see how it goes (without LTO3 tapes).

Thanks again for the reply,

Nelson

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can use either LTO5 or LTO4 tapes