Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup failed and Cant test resource credentials

John_Sparks_2
Level 3
HI, Backup failed last night with the following error

Job ended: 26 July 2006 at 23:00:23
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly.
Final error category: Security Errors

Tried checking authenticiation using resource credentials test but it doesnt seem to do anything when I click on test.

I have tried resetting service account to local system and a admin account and the backup still fails.

Has been working without any problem for a while before.

Help!

Thanks
John
9 REPLIES 9

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi John,

Make sure that the Service account that you are using has Domain Admin as well as Local Admin rights.

try creating a new user in the AD and give it thiese rights and use this account and then verify!

John_Sparks_2
Level 3
HI Rucha,

I have tried both the normal Administrator account and setting up an entirely new Admin account. I still get the same error.

I still cannot test resource credentials.

When running a test for this backup I get the following error in the log.

Device : \\SERVER-01, E:Check status : Error: e000846b, The job failed with the following error: The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.

Looking at the services running on the Server I note that all backupexec services are running. All the services are using the account I created except the remote agent. That is running using Local System.

Thanks
John

John_Sparks_2
Level 3
As an added note, I cant create a new backup either because the administration screen wont let select anything to backup. The Remote selections tickbox is greyed out.

Thanks
John

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello John,

Please check if Remote Agent service is up and running under local system account on the remote server. Check if port 10000 is open. Remote Agent uses this port for communication with remote server.

Kindly update.

Regards

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

John_Sparks_2
Level 3
Hi,

The Remote Agent Service is running and using the Local system account.

I have checked for the Event 58116 in the event log and it's not evident. Also Netstat isnt reporting that Port 10000 is used.

Thanks
John

>Please check if Remote Agent service is up and running under local system account on the remote server. Check if port 10000 is open. Remote Agent uses this port for communication with remote server.

John_Sparks_2
Level 3
Hi,

Just found something. When test running the backup I get Security notifications in the security log of the server.

Process ID refers to beremote.exe.

IT looks like it's using the administrator login account for something.

The services are using a account I setup specifically for BE. The Remote service is using the local system account.

I note that there is another area in BE called Logon Account Management, that is using the administrator account. Is this correct? I use this account to login normally without problems.

Event Type:Failure Audit
Event Source:Security
Event Category:Logon/Logoff
Event ID:534
Date:01/08/2006
Time:09:44:19
User:NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:SERVER-01
Description:
Logon Failure:
Reason:The user has not been granted the requested
logon type at this machine
User Name:administrator
Domain:OURDOMAIN
Logon Type:2
Logon Process:Advapi
Authentication Package:Negotiate
Workstation Name:THESERVERNAME
Caller User Name:THESERVERNAME$
Caller Domain:OURDOMAIN
Caller Logon ID:(0x0,0x3E7)
Caller Process ID:1464
Transited Services:-
Source Network Address:-
Source Port:-

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

Could you also delete the system logon account and recreate it? Here are the documents that you could follow:

The document to delete the system logon account:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/257256

Follow the document http://support.veritas.com/docs/274012 to recreate the account.

Please ensure that you set the newly created system logon account as the default account. Run the backup thereafter.

Hope it helps!

John_Sparks_2
Level 3
Ended up buying a single support incident as couldnt wait for a solution.

Tracked the problem down to authorisation failure for the Network Logon account.

Seting up a new account with admin status and removing membership of Domain Users from this account I had setup seemed to solve the problem.

Ensure that LoginLocally rights are given to the account!

Hope this helps if you have the same problem.

J

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi John,

So after giving the user "Login Locally" rights it worked. We would archive this post then.