cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup failing after Media server upgrade

RicohNorway
Level 5

Hi

I have recently upgraded the Media Server and installed Windows 2012 R2 server. Now this server is running BE 2014 with SP1. I restored the data and started up the BE 2014. Most of the jobs are working fine but i am experiencing issues with 3 servers. I would appreciate if someone could help me out with this. Please see the screenshots below for the errors i am receiving.

error.pngerror2.png

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Check below and see if this relates to your issue:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH139703

THanks!

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Turn off AOF in your job and try again.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As you can see, the physical size of the DB container is 11404 MB (approx 12 GB), though the actual used space of the DB is 735072+155984 KB ~ approx 1GB.. Pretty much the same size when backed up by BE.

16 REPLIES 16

CraigV

Hi,

Check below and see if this relates to your issue:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH139703

THanks!

CraigV

...also, restart the media server if you haven't done so after upgrading it.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Turn off AOF in your job and try again.

RicohNorway
Level 5

Oki here is the update, for 2 of the servers, it was just as minor as not restarting the servers after agent upgrade. But the third one is still failing. It is still getting the same error as given above, the one at bottom saying

Snapshot technology error (0xE0008516): The database specified for the snapshot was not backed up be...

RicohNorway
Level 5

The server which is failing now basically only have 2 SQL database selected which is of very importance. And then there is System Status selected, and i think it is failing on the system status. Pkh are you sure i unselecting the snapshot will help?

CraigV

...disabling AOFO is recommended with DBs. You can split your backups off from each other (AOFO with files/System State; no AOFO with SQL). Try this and report back with an update.

Thanks!

RicohNorway
Level 5

Oki, here is the update, sins i am only interested in the SQL databases on this particular server, i deselcted the System State, and only selected the 2 databases i am interested in. Then i did as suggested by removing the AOF sins its SQL databases i am taking backup of. The job completed successfully. however what worries me is the amount of GB of the backup data. It was only 0,9 GB datam while the SQL database is atleast more then 12 GB total for both of the databases. I enabled the AOF and ran the job again, this time it gave me around 12GB of backup data, but it failed on the very end with the exact same error as mentioned earlier. So my questions is, as a result of disabling the AOF, are you guys sure it is taking backup of the entire SQL database? Would appreciate a feedback on this, thanks.

VJware
Level 6

When AOFO is used with SQL backups, tthe backup will contain the complete physical size of the SQL DB as opposed to a non AOFO backup of SQL which will contain only the used data. Hence, with AOFO enabled, the SQL agent backups are larger than the non AOFO ones.

RicohNorway
Level 5

Well my backup setup is that it takes 1 full backup and then 4 incremential, so disabling the AOFO will never be able to take the full Backup weekly then, what am i suppose to do then?

And why am I having this issue now, i never had this problem before upgrading?

RicohNorway
Level 5
I will appreciate if someone could give me a feedback on this one, if i am disabling the AOFO, then how can i make sure the entire database is taken backup of, One of you are saying that it only takes the used data, this data wont help anything in case i need to restore the server. Please advice what to do.

VJware
Level 6

Here is a KB validating what I mentioned earlier - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH166067

In case of a SQL restore, a non-AOFO backup of the DBs will of course help.

RicohNorway
Level 5

Cool. That explained a little bit. Please tell me one thing, data backed up with and without AOFO were following:

With AOFO:           around 12GB

Without AOFO:      around 1 GB

According to the KB you provided, does it mean there is 11GB with empty space in that database file?

VJware
Level 6

Possibly yes. You can run the following query from SQL itself to double-check using this post - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18014392/select-sql-server-database-size

RicohNorway
Level 5

sql ss.png

Thats what i get when i run the query, seems like the database is suppose to be larger then 1GB

VJware
Level 6

As you can see, the physical size of the DB container is 11404 MB (approx 12 GB), though the actual used space of the DB is 735072+155984 KB ~ approx 1GB.. Pretty much the same size when backed up by BE.

RicohNorway
Level 5

Hmm, then i guess we are good to go, thanks alot VJware, i appreciate all your feedbacks, Very kind. I will proceed and take backup by disabling AOFO. Thanks alot to all of you :)