Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup failing every two weeks with no network error

gregb0
Level 2

Every two weeks my backup exec 2014 job fails with this error:

Job ended: Monday, September 21, 2015 at 11:30:12 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe28 - A network connection to the server could not be established.
Final error category: Job Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65064

However, the server that is trying to be backed up is in fact running as I can remote into it.  I've looked through all of the windows logs (both the backup server and the system trying to be backed up are running 2008 R2) and cannot find anything.  Anyone have any ideas where I could look to figure out why this is failing?

5 REPLIES 5

gregb0
Level 2

Some additional information that may or may not have anything to do with this problem...

I do see this:

backup.png

Shadow copy components also shows up in the windows log around the time the backup job is supposed to start saying the service was stopped.  I don't think this has anything to do with it but I'm just trying to find something!

Thanks,
Greg

lmosla
Level 6

Check to make sure that no other backup programs or maintenance is being run at this time and that Port 10000 isn't being blocked

Under the backup job settings under the Advanced Open File Option set the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy provider to System - Use Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider.

gregb0
Level 2

No other backup programs are running.

I will switch it from automatic to the Microsoft writer.

Thanks for the response.  I'll let you know how it goes in two weeks!

gregb0
Level 2

After switching to the MS software shadow copy provider it is still failing.  Again, this happens once every two weeks.

Upon further investigation, it looks as if the remote agent on the database server is hung when this problem occurs.  Specifically, the BackupExecAgentExcellerator service.  I had to force it closed in order to even open the backup job properties and have it retrieve the information. 

I have set it to use ipv4 in its subnet over the local area connection in the job to see if that helps.

I can't find any other service running that uses port 10000.  If it is a port issue (which I'm not sure that it is) is there a way to switch the ports backup exec uses?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should disable IPv6 on both the media server and the remote server.