cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup fails after replacing LTO 3 with LTO 6

opticom_DA
Level 3

Hi,

we are using Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP2 with a HP Library.

We are facing some problems with the backup since we had replaced out LTO 3 drive with an LTO 6 drive.

The job starts without problems, but when the first tape is full, the job stops ant we get the message, that the media is write protected.

E00084F8 - V-79-57344-34031

The hardware and Backup Exec are up to date and we installaed Hotfix 202063 (LTO 6 support).

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...OK, and you're certain you're using the Symantec drivers? Use tapeinst.exe to install them if necessary.

Have you also tried upgrading the firmware on the tape drive to eliminate that?

Thanks!

EDIT: Might be worth your while downloading and installing BE 2010 SP3 since that is out too!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

CraigV

Hi,

Are you using LTO6 tapes?

However, the error you're receiving is addressed in the links below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH153800

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH54491

Your error above doesn't come up with a definite link...

Thanks!

opticom_DA
Level 3

Yes, we are using LTO6 tapes...

I know this second articel already. The fist one seems not to have sth to do with our problem.

• The media is physically write protected. Check the physical write protection switch on the tape.

Not physically write protected

• The media is overwrite protected by Backup Exec. Verify the Overwrite Protection Period set on the media set properties. When attempting to back up to a media set, Backup Exec uses overwrite protection settings to determine whether the media in the targeted user media set can be overwritten or appended to.

No write protection from BE. 20 new tapes in the library, all in temp media.

• The media is not write compatible with the drive. Make sure that the media is compatible with the tape drive.

Compatible - writing on the first tape works without problems

• Make sure Symantec driver is installed for the tape device.

Installed... also reinstalled

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Iopticom.DA  Im assuming that the temp media set is a set that you created. Please try to associate all tapes with Scratch media and allow backup exec to pull the tapes and associate them with the sets as needed. 

-Associate the tapes with scratch media and rerun the job

opticom_DA
Level 3

Oh no sorry... it's "Temporäre Medien" in the german version. In fact it's the same as "scratch media", so the tapes aren't associated to a special mediaset.

(http://www.symantec.com/de/de/security_response/glossary/define.jsp?letter=s&word=scratch-media)

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Can you run an erase job on any of these new tapes?  That will help identify where the "write protected" idea is originating.  If they can be erased, then they are obviously not physically write protected and they are compatible with the drive.

lmosla
Level 6

Hello opticom.DA,

Has an inventory been run on these tapes?

opticom_DA
Level 3

Hi,

yes we ran an inventory everytime before the backup starts.

Erasing a tape works without any problems.

CraigV

...then check your Append/OPP settings on your media set. Could be that the tapes are not being returned to scratch quickly enough.

Thanks!

opticom_DA
Level 3

Currently we've got 12 empty tapes in scratch media, so i think we can eleminate insufficient media space as a problem ...

And as I said, everything - same jobs, same settings - worked before we changed the tapedrive.

CraigV

...OK, and you're certain you're using the Symantec drivers? Use tapeinst.exe to install them if necessary.

Have you also tried upgrading the firmware on the tape drive to eliminate that?

Thanks!

EDIT: Might be worth your while downloading and installing BE 2010 SP3 since that is out too!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you using barcode labels?  If not, then you would need to label your new tapes before they can be used.  Erasing the new tapes serves the same purpose.

opticom_DA
Level 3

Yes, definetly the symantec drivers! I used tapeinst.exe already... (Device manager: Symantec Corporation)

The firmware is up to date on the library and on the tape drive

I'm downloading SP3 right now, thanks for the advice...

Yes, we use barcode labels...

lmosla
Level 6
Though it is not for your specific error try the following:
Go into the Windows Device Manager.
Check the Medium Changer drivers. If the Medium Changer OEM Drivers are listed, change to the Unknown Medium Changer driver.
Shut the Backup Exec server all the way down, power cycle the library until it shows as Online / Ready, then boot the server.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

What HP library are you using?

You changed from LTO3 to LTO6 in that same library?  Or did you get a new/different library at the same time?

And you have only a single LTO6 drive and there are no LTO3 media in the library at all?

I find it curious that the backup job fails.  My experience has been that the job should be queued and asking for you to import overwritable media, rather than simply failing.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since you are using barcode labels, did you check that the barcode labels conform to the HP requirements.  See my blog below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/de/blogs/barcode-requirements-hp-tape-libraries

opticom_DA
Level 3

Hi,

I double checked the used capacity of the tapes.
In device tab I can see, that the tapes aren't completely filled up. The used capacity vary between 800 GB and 1,7 TB. 

The size of written data before the job fails vary between 2,4 and 2,8 GB, so I'm not sure anymore, if this is the main problem.

Its a MSL2024 - we only changed the tape drive, the library is still the same.

All tapes are labled and we use the original HP labels. Also the ID looks correct to me: AFV349L6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you change the tape drive, did you re-install the entire library and tape drive.  If not, I would suggest that you do the following.

1) Delete the library from BE

2) Stop the media server and the library

3) Start the tape library

4) Start the media server

5) Ensure that the library and tape drive is recognised and functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager. The library should appear as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and the tape drive should have a Symantec driver.

6) In BE, install the library if necessary.  Go to Tools --> Wizards ---> Device Configuration Wizard to do so.

opticom_DA
Level 3

After Installing SP3 the problem is solved.

Thanks everybody for help!