cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup fails on V-79-57344-65072 - The Exchange Server is not responding. Backup set canceled.

Eelkevd
Level 2
Hi,

For already a few month I'm receiving often failure messages when I run the Symantec Backup Exec 10D.
It does not happen every backup, but often. about 1-3 times a week it doesn't complete the lot.

It does always ends with thesame message on top:
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe2d - The backup of the item is bad.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65069
Underneath in the more detailed field I can see the following messages:

Access denied to file Groups xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.
Access denied to file Groups xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
V-79-57344-65072 - The Exchange Server is not responding. Backup set canceled.

As I said, it does not happen every day, but it does always happen in this part of the exchange backup if it happens. In the public folders part.

We use MS Windows 2003 SBS, with also MS Exchange 2003. We backup a full backup every day, anddo have all the recent updates from MS installed.

The Backup exec version is 10d (10.1.5629) with Service Pack 4 installed. according to the updating program from Backup Exec, we dont have any hotfixes installed. neither do we have SP3 or 2 installed. But I assume that if I have SP4 installed, it also does include SP2 and 3? or is it not like in Windows?

following error also appears often:
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.
Final error category: Security Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33928

Anyone who can help me further? I will be very happy with that!
So often to see failed in your mailbox does not do so much good ...

Very many thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Check the link below out...MIGHT help you:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/261457.htm

If you have SP4 installed, there is no need to have any other SPs installed. The latest SP would be cumulative of prior SP updates.

Eelkevd
Level 2

The reason why I did ask about the SP4 update, is because i got a note in the update hotfixes, when I install hotfix HF48_289185 it does say i first must install SP3. but SP4 is already installed.

I checked the virusscanner, it indeed also does scan the whole exchange server so i did change the settings according to the file.
But I cannot find out if our spam filter does work on SMTP level or the Exchange Store. How can I see it?

CraigV
To my knowledge, a new SP would include the previous SP's updates, and any new updates since then.

Eelkevd
Level 2

Yes that'd make sense to me too.

Thing is, that when i try to install this hotfix that i get from the symantec website when i check for updates available, it cannot be installed because as it sais, I must have SP3 installed first.

It did fail again, with thesame error message, just this time in another folder of the public folders.

I can't see why the exchange server stops responding. It is on the very same server as where I make the backup on, and also what is the domain controller.

In the event vieuwer app, i can find this error:
Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Backup Exec
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    34113
Date:        13-8-2010
Time:        14:30:20
User:        N/A
Computer:    DC1
Description:
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "DC1") (Job: "Daily Backup") Daily Backup -- The job failed with the following error: The backup of the item is bad.

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml
-------------------------
A minute before that i find the following in the event log. Dont know if it has a connection but I think it has.

Event Type:    Information
Event Source:    MSExchangeTransport
Event Category:    Routing Engine/Service
Event ID:    984
Date:        13-8-2010
Time:        14:29:41
User:        N/A
Computer:    DC1
Description:
SMTP GetNextHop returned hr=0x0 in 0ms.
 DestAddr=<rbccm.com>, Type=<SMTP>
 MsgType=0x0, NextHopType=OTHER_ROUTING_GROUP
 Type=<SMTP>, Class=<*>, SchedId=0x0
 RouteAddr=<rbccm.com>
 Connector=<GUID>

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I did change the settings in the virus scanner to not scan the exchange folders, and did check the rights for the backup account, that's all correct.

How do i check wether I have quarantined email or not, because in some guide i see it could cause trouble, and how do I ensure that filter rules are configured to run against the incoming Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) traffic instead of the Exchange Store? I see that all in here: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/267437.htm

CraigV
...aha, but did that HF come out before, or after SP4?

Eelkevd
Level 2

The Hotfix is from before the SP4 update I found.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290905.htm

Says that HF48 (the one i talk about) is included. Strange that it still keeps offering it seperate on the veritas update site.

Anyway this is not directly the problem I'm looking for, does anyone have any clue about these errors, as I wrote above?

CraigV
It would still be offered. If you weren't running SP4, you'd need to install it. Because you are running SP4, and it is included, there would be no need to install it.