cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup fails with VSS fail error event ID 12292

pwahome
Level 2

Hi,

I am running backup exec 2010 r2 on windows server 2008 r2.

The backup have been running well until last week this error started.

Kindly assist.

I have checked on the below and all the configurations are ok

• Volume Shadow Copy or Microsoft Shadow Copy Component services are not starting when a VSS operation occurs or they are set to startup mode 'disabled'- Mine are manual/automatic and can start
  • Microsoft Shadow Copy Component is not properly registered within DCOM.- it is registered
  • Microsoft Shadow Copy Component is not correctly registered with the Operating System.-it is registered

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error creating the Shadow Copy Provider COM class with CLSID {06d8e136-56f6-4048-93fb-a5943e949375} [0x80040154, Class not registered

].

Operation:

Obtain a callable interface for this provider

Add a Volume to a Shadow Copy Set

Context:

Provider ID: {5fdb6ef5-6ead-4610-995b-401c88626115}

Class ID: {06d8e136-56f6-4048-93fb-a5943e949375}

Snapshot Context: 0

Execution Context: Coordinator

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Your first bit of troubleshooting would be to upgrade to BE 2010 R3 with the latest SP and any subsequent patches. BE 2010 R3 fixed a lot of issues with the previous 2 versions:

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

Then refer to the TN below:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH140909

Might also be in your interests in future to look at BE 15 with better support of OS and applications.

Thanks! 

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

IS the backup failure on the BE server (Win 2008 R2) or a remote server ?

What are the status of the vss writers on the server being backed up ? (Run vssadmin list writers from the cmd to check the state)

Is the backup job set to explicitly use the Microsoft System VSS provider under Advanced Open File option ?

pwahome
Level 2

Hi VJware, kindly see my answers to your questions in bold and italic

IS the backup failure on the BE server (Win 2008 R2) or a remote server ?- it is failing to backup a remote server (I am getting the error above when i got to failed job logs)

What are the status of the vss writers on the server being backed up ? (Run vssadmin list writers from the cmd to check the state)-See attached documents (all are stable with no error)

Is the backup job set to explicitly use the Microsoft System VSS provider under Advanced Open File option ?-No

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What is the OS of the remote server ?

Also, set the backup job to use the Microsoft VSS provider.

Lastly, could you PM me the complete Application & System logs from the remote server. Thanks.

pwahome
Level 2

I am getting this error on both win server 2008 r2 and 2012 r2 but most of the remote servers are win 2012 r2

See attached logs

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 2010 does not support Win 2012 R2.  See the SCL below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137682

You need upgrade to either BE 15 or BE 2014 to get Win 2012 R2 support.  The upgrade is free if you are on a current maintenance contract.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you need to give the correct information first-time. The initial error relates to Windows Server 2008 R2, but most of the errors are now on Win2K12 R2...?