Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup failure

Nokkela
Level 4

After some full and incremental backups i have got same errors:

33152 - adam mover error

57665 - i/o error

Now, i dont know what to do. Firmware and drivers - last stable versions. I am replaced "catalogs" folder and erased all tapes in the library, "ODBC error" after inventory has missing. First backup was without any errors after which i did some recovery jobs - all ok, but next full backup, after 4-5 hours, at 50%, exited with errors(btw, tape is empty at this moment). After errors, tape had marked - "end label is unreadable" and now tape have got +1 stable write or read error I had tried with 10 tapes (some tapes are with differential backup which i did some days before about, 400GB) and all ended with errors. Problems with write protection are excluded.

I don't understand why the 2nd backup fails.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you have HP Insight Management software running on your server, stop it.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It could be that your tape drive is faulty.  Run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility against the tape drive.  Make sure that you select the write test and that you have stopped all the BE services beforehand.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Any events 5,7,9,11,15 in the system logs of the event viewer ?

Nokkela
Level 4

I did "LTO drive assessment test" with overwrite parameter on some tapes on which Symantec fails - all ok. There are no errors in LTT at all. Today i clean the drive and replace SCSI cable, will see what will happens in the evening.

Nokkela
Level 4

Only event 9 - "The HP System Management Homepage Win32 service has been started successfully.". That`s all.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Would you pls post the complete descriptions of events 33152 & 57665..

As a test, try backing up to disk to rule out any tape hardware issues.

Nokkela
Level 4

Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 03:00:04:00 - Device error 1117 on "\\.\Tape0", SCSI cmd 0a, 1 total errors

%2
%3
%4
%5
%6
%7
%8

Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 00:00:04:00 - Retry Logic: Retry logic was engaged on device: HP       Ultrium 3-SCSI  

%2
%3
%4
%5
%6
%7
%8

Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 03:00:04:00 - Refresh handle on "\\.\Tape0", SCSI cmd 00, new handle 6a8, error 0

%2
%3
%4
%5
%6
%7
%8

Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 00:00:04:00 - Retry Logic: Original settings restored on device: HP       Ultrium 3-SCSI  

%2
%3
%4
%5
%6
%7
%8

Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 00:00:04:00 - Retry Logic: 2 TURs Failed on device: HP       Ultrium 3-SCSI  

%2
%3
%4
%5
%6
%7
%8

and at the end 57665

Storage device "HP 2" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

and today i have a new error while doing full backup - 57612 (for the first time)

An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in HP 1.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you have HP Insight Management software running on your server, stop it.

Nokkela
Level 4

Just noticed that the service "HP WMI storage providers" is running:( i already stopped him (restarting the server) and now Symantec performs a new backup job with backup2disk feature.

Avink_BE2012
Level 3

Hi ,

Related to the problem you have why not try running the tracer utility which in built in symantec utility to trace the SCSI events. Create a new backup job a small test job. You will find the tracer.exe in the installation directory of backup exec. launch it and click on the green dot. It will start monitoring the SCSI events. Run that and if you could upload the logs we can see if the tape drive is faulty.

Also try to see the backup completes on backup to disk folder. If it completes on backup to disk folder then the tape drive could be the culprit. 

Nokkela
Level 4

Hi,

I already used tracer.exe. and cant find any errors. All operations were "success" and in time when BE failed (in event manager) logs in tracer.exe just freezed on any operation like "write".

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

In my experience the "Refresh handle" message was related to device communication issues and/or the device disappearing and reappearing in windows.

Nokkela
Level 4

So, now backup job finishing without any errors. Seems like the problem was in HP storage service, and now i`am testing the new configuration and will mark the solution soon.

Nokkela
Level 4

Now, i think that it was incompatibility between symantec tape driver and HP WMI storage service(my carelessness, i had read about this many times at this forum). I forgot to disable the service, because Symantec worked with hp tape drivers earlier.

Nokkela
Level 4

Thank you for help! Now, after a week of backups i can say - the problem was in HP wmi storage service which i forgot stop.)