cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup file extension

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi Team,

What is the extension of backup file in symantec (which is stored in tape). or it will store the file with same format?

- vicky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

When writing to disk it writes with a *.bkf format in a flat-file configuration of a size set by the system (4GB) or by you (xGB).

When writing to tape it basically just writes the file as is. So doc.docx is written as doc.docx to tape.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV

Hi,

When writing to disk it writes with a *.bkf format in a flat-file configuration of a size set by the system (4GB) or by you (xGB).

When writing to tape it basically just writes the file as is. So doc.docx is written as doc.docx to tape.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you talking about the individual files or the files that BE creates?  The former should be of no concern to you because you cannot access these files individually without going through BE.  If it is the latter, then BE uses the MTF (Microsoft Tape Format) to write to the tape.

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi Pkh,

I'm talking about individual files like database file or document (.doc). 

CraigV

Hi,

Then my first comment stands...files are written into a *.bkf flat-file format when writing to disk, and the files are written as-is when writing to tape. Ie. writing doc.docx from disk to tape writes it as doc.docx.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Why do you want to know what the file extensions are?

vigneshwaran
Level 6

We are doing some testing, So that i asked file format for tape backup.

Thanks