cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup from NAS to Tape fails with "No connection to Remote-Computer"

UE-IT
Level 3

Hello,

I want to Backup our NAS (without Remote Agent) over CIFS / Network Share to Tape. When I start the job, it fails after 1-2 minutes with an error massage, that Backup Exec could not start a connection to the remote-computer and perhaps it's because the remote-computer is not in the choosen subnet ... and so on. (Sorry for the missing original message, I'm a german user with german Backup Exec)

BUT! Now there comes the funny thing: I can successfully backup the same remote-computer to disk! Also, I can successfully backup local files from the backup server to the tape. Only the backup from the NAS - over the backup server - to tape fails.

So, tape-library is working fine, also the connection between NAS and backup server, credentials / logon user works fine, etc.

The problem is, that the space on our backup server is to small to backup to disk and duplicate to tape ... Just thought, that it's not possible to directly backup from NAS to Tape, but I don't hope so ;) Also thought about, the tape backup is to fast for a backup from NAS (over 1 Gbit Network), but that should anyway, shouldn't it?

To our environment / configuration:

- Backup Exec 2015

- On Windows Server 2012 R2

- To HP 1/8 Tape Library Autoloader LTO6 over SAS (i guess a 6250 Modell ...)

- From NAS Synology RackStation RS3614xs+ with DSM 5.0-4528 Update 2 with 1 Gbit LAN

- Over CIFS / Network Share

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Set to use any available protocol as well instead of explicitly using IPv4.

If this doesn't help, does adding host file entries help ? If not, would recommend to log a formal case for an engineer to have a look @ your setup.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you're got a remote agent licensed and installed on the media server, correct?

Backing up to tape would probably be slower due to the stop/start nature of backing up files of different sizes, where B2D would be faster.

THanks!

UE-IT
Level 3

Of course we've got a remote agent licensed, but not installed on the remote server, because there is no remote agent for Synology NAS.

Well, I tested it with a 123 GB File. The job to disk (12x 1TB SATA HDD 7.200 RPM in RAID6) run with round about ~3 GB where the job to tape (LTO6) run with round about ~7,5 GB - 8 GB. Of course, that was an idealistic scenario with one single large file. However, that was quite impressive. But let's wait for the productive environment, especially with tapes ... ;)

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

It won't install on the NAS unless it runs Windows Storage Server.

Is the remote agent installed on the media server?

UE-IT
Level 3

Don't get me wrong - I already know that it won't install on the NAS, because there is no working / existing Agent for the Synology NAS, which is running with an (from Synology) self build Linux. Because of this, I have to backup over Network Share via SMB (without an Agent)

I guess with "Media Server" you mean the "Backup Server", on which Backup Exec is installed, don't you?

Well, I thought an agent is already installed on the "Backup Server" together with Backup Exec, especially because the "Backup Server" was / is already listed in Backup Exec.

So, because of your reply, I tried to add the "Backup Server" (on which Backup Exec is already installed and which is already listed in Backup Exec Software) in Backup Exec again, choose it as "Windows Server", and as a result of this, the Backup Exec Software installed an agent on the "Backup Server" (or it seemed so). After that I did a reboot of the "Backup Server" and tried a backup from the NAS directely to tape again.

And it failed again. Btw. Failure-Code E0000F02

I'm still wondering, because Backup from the NAS to Disk (on the Backup Server) already works, also the Backup from local files on the Backup Server to Tape.

VJware
Level 6

Would you post the complete failed job log ? Thanks.

UE-IT
Level 3

Of course. But i'm sorry, it's a german Backup Exec ;)

Der Backup Exec-Server konnte keine Verbindung zur Remote-Maschine XYZ mit dem Protokoll IPv4 aufbau...
Laufwerk und Laden von Medium angefordert: 03.07.2015 09:14:19
Geräte und Medien - Informationen
Laufwerks- und Medieninformationen von Medienladevorgang: 03.07.2015 09:15:29
Wechslername : Wechsler01 an XYZ
Laufwerkname: Bandlaufwerke01 in Wechsler01
Medienschacht: 1
Medienkennung: HZ9620L6
Medien-GUID: {23f2a4ab-ec94-4c37-89f6-4e7b1333304c}
Überschreibschutz bis: 02.07.2015 18:27:32
Anhängbar bis: 31.12.9999 01:00:00
Name des Ziel-Mediensatzes: Mediensatz 0001
Aufbewahren für: 1 Stunde(n)

Alle verwendeten Medien
 HZ9620L6

Auftragstyp - Sichern
Sicherungsoptionen
Medienvorgang - An Medium anhängen oder überschreiben, falls kein anhängbares Medium verfügbar ist.

Komprimierungstyp: Software

Verschlüsselungstyp: Keine

Server - XYZ
Der Backup Exec-Server konnte keine Verbindung zur Remote-Maschine XYZ mit dem Protokoll IPv4 aufbau...

Auftragsabschlussstatus
Auftrag beendet am Freitag, 3. Juli 2015 um 09:15:31
Abschlussstatus: Fehlgeschlagen
Endgültiger Fehler: 0xe0000f02 - Vom Backup Exec-Server konnte keine Verbindung mit dem Remote-Computer hergestellt werden. Möglicherweise befindet sich der Remote-Computer nicht im ausgewählten Subnetz. Versuchen Sie eine andere Netzwerkschnittstelle oder lassen Sie Backup Exec eine beliebige verfügbare Netzwerkschnittstelle wählen.
Endgültige Fehlerkategorie: Ressourcenfehler

Zusätzliche Informationen zu diesem Fehler finden Sie unter der Verknüpfung V-79-57344-3842

Fehler
Klicken Sie auf eine der unten aufgeführten Fehlermeldungen, um den Fehler im Auftragsprotokoll zu finden

Sichern- XYZ

Satztyp                  : Sichern
Satzstatus             : Fehlgeschlagen
Satzbeschreibung         : 
Ressourcenname           : XYZ
Anmeldekonto             : 
Verwendete Verschlüsselung        : Keine
Fehler                   : e0000f02 - Vom Backup Exec-Server konnte keine Verbindung mit dem Remote-Computer hergestellt werden. Möglicherweise befindet sich der Remote-Computer nicht im ausgewählten Subnetz. Versuchen Sie eine andere Netzwerkschnittstelle oder lassen Sie Backup Exec eine bel
Benutzter Agent                   : Ja
Benutzte Advanced Open File Option: Nein

VJware
Level 6

And to confirm, no settings have been set under the Network & Security options of the backup job ? Ideally, it should be set to use any available interface or subnet.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If it is enabled, disable IPv6 on both the NAS and the media server

UE-IT
Level 3

Thanks for your fast reply!

I tried every possible combination with same result. Actually it's set to Any Netzworkinterface and Protocol to IPv4.

Well, I configured a LACP in Windows Server 2012 R2 - but that shouldn't be the problem, because the connection to the NAS and the backup from the NAS to Disk (in Backup Server) works successfully. Only the Backup from the NAS to Tape fails.

VJware
Level 6

Set to use any available protocol as well instead of explicitly using IPv4.

If this doesn't help, does adding host file entries help ? If not, would recommend to log a formal case for an engineer to have a look @ your setup.

UE-IT
Level 3

Thanks for your idea.

I disabled IPv6 and also restarted the Backup Server. Same failure again.

I also did care to exactly configure the Backup Job to disk and the Backup Job to Tape identically. Both are choosen with "Any" Netzwerkinterface. Backup to disk works, Backup to Tape fails.

UE-IT
Level 3

Jesus Christ! VJware had the solution! I choose "Any" Protocol and it worked !!!

So, come on guys, that can't be real. Backup to Disk works with explicit protocol "IPv4" and Backup to Tape fails with explicit protocol "IPv4" and works with protocol "Any"? Is that a bug, isn't it?

So far, thanks a lot guys! And especially VJware!