cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup hangs once a week on same file

Mauro_Cannucci
Level 2
Hi,
Setup is as follows, new Dell Poweredge1800, windows 2003 SP1, running backupexec 9.1rev 4691.

Like clock work, the backup fails once a week where the same file just keeps trying to be backed up for hours and hours on end, until I stop it and restart the backup.

These are full backups comprised of the Dell utility partition, the c: drive, d: drive and the shadow copy components.
The failure always happens on the c: drive in a Dell folder with some files that got copied over from the openManage installation. c:\dell\hotfix\windowsserver2003-kb824146-x86-chs.exe, strangely enough the file hasn't been used or accessed in over a year.

Any ideas on how to resolve this annoying problem? Backups are scheduled at 1:00 am, there is absolutely nothing going on at that time, but if I restart it it will run fine even in the middle of the day with 70 people logged on and hundreds of files open.

On another note, I'm planning to upgrade to BackupExec 10d with a new install of the Remote agent because I'll be putting another iidentical server in production and as a backup, is there anything I have to look out for in upgrading BackupExec? I really don't want any surprises!
Regards,
Cannucci
5 REPLIES 5

Mauro_Cannucci
Level 2
Hi Again,

Any ideas, not even a "will wait for two business days to mark question answered"

Man I knew I should have stayed with Arcserve.

Mauro

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,

- Could you tell us what exactly this file is?
- Also do you get any errors /events in the event logs?
- You have said this problem comesup only with the Weekly full backup. Is this file not a part of the daily backups, or does this file not get changed so as to get in a Increamental or a diffrential backup?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Mauro_Cannucci
Level 2
Hi,

Thanks for replying.

As I mentioned, it's in a Dell folder in the root of C:, I'm guessing something from the Dell OpenManage install.

No errors in the event logs, checked.

Every day is a full backup Monday to Friday, actually Tuesday to Saturday because the backups go through at 1:00 am. As I said, this hangup happens once a week, usually during the week days. File has not changed in over a year which is around the tiime I installed OpenManage.

I had updated Server 2003 with SP1 and updated Veritas to 4691 but the same thing keeps happening.

I'm in the process of upgrading the Veritas to 10.d or 10.1 because I needed the Remote agent for another server I'm setting up, I hope it will fix this annoyance.

BTW can I install 10.1 over 9.1 or should I uninstall 9.1 first?

Regards,
Cannucci

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Mauro,

Are you sure you haven't filled the tape? Compression numbers can be misleading.

Are there any alerts in the alerts tab?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Do you receive any alerts in the alerts tab?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.