cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup individual files

Alex_w
Level 3
 Hi, recently I have been trying to backup individual files with BE. However instaed of backing up these files it ends up backing up the folders minus files.
I am not sure if something have been done wrong probably its the configuration, but i have tested numerous ways. It still ends up the same.
For example,
I wanted to backup \\server1\E:\MSSQL\xxxxxxxdata.mdf. It ends up backing up MSSQL folder but not the file.
Is BE limited to only backup by folders only.

Anyway I am using BE9.0. Could someone try to help me shed some light here.

Thanks
Alex
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lyon
Level 5
 BE will not back up .mdf and .ldf files while they are in use. You will have to halt your database to copy these to tape. And then you will have hell restoring them. This is not the way to backup your DB.

You have 2 options.

1. Purchase the SQL Agent from Veritas. This will allow BE to backup the database while it is still active.

2. Schedule a Maintenance Plan in SQL that does a backup. Then copy these backup files to tape with BE. This also will not interfere with your DB.

Lyon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

lyon
Level 5
 BE will not back up .mdf and .ldf files while they are in use. You will have to halt your database to copy these to tape. And then you will have hell restoring them. This is not the way to backup your DB.

You have 2 options.

1. Purchase the SQL Agent from Veritas. This will allow BE to backup the database while it is still active.

2. Schedule a Maintenance Plan in SQL that does a backup. Then copy these backup files to tape with BE. This also will not interfere with your DB.

Lyon

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Are you backing up "OPEN" files?

Are you getting exceptions in the job logs?

As per your example, you are backing up SQL Database file which is a open file.

1  : Backup Exec will not backup open files, unless and until you install Advance Open file Option
2  : AOFO is a License option in BE 9.x, 10.x and 11.x
3  : Try backing up a folder which contains FLAT files.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

@DevT

AOFO is neither recommended nor certified for use against database files

And even if he tries it, it will skip LDF adn MDF files due to Active File Exclusion

@
Alex.w

even if you shut down the SQL services, BackupExec will skip SQL, Exchange and Notes databases unless you make a registry change. See  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/259152.htm

But you really do need follow one of Lyon's suggestions, preferably the SQL Agent