cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup is not completing - MS Exchange.

Sankar_ganesh
Level 4
Hi All,

I am in the process of Creating IDR for MS exchange 2003 using BE 10d.

I have successfully created the bootable Image with ASR file included.

The problem is,

I have started the full backup of MS- Exchange server with out any exclusion. finally the full backup hasnt completed, but it has taken backup of all data ( i came to know this from by seeing size of backuped data in property of that job).

When open the property of that job to check the current file, noting was there. But in Current folder i can see it was hanging the folder " c:\wmpub\wiislog" which is empty.

Then i have restared the backup without that particular folder. This time also the backup job was keep standing in the folder "userdata" in Shadow copy components.

Note: the backup job is not failing and not giving any error message, at that time we have to cancel the job by forcefully.

Now i am taking backup only the Exchange database ( previous slection)

Can any one help me to complete my IDR procedure.
8 REPLIES 8

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to refer to the following technote

(title) Disaster Recovery shortcut list

http://support.veritas.com/docs/261700

Thanks.

Sankar_ganesh
Level 4
Can any one respond my question really i am running out of time ..

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Sankar,

In order to create IDR bootable media , full successfull backup has to be taken prior to that , so that the .dr File gets updated and then .asr files either on IDR CD or diskett

---have you activated AOFO for this backup ?

---As you have mentioned " Now i am taking backup only the Exchange database ( previous slection)" , in this case WIndows Server has to be recovered manually and then install BE and Exchange and restored Exchange Data ..

---Could you please also check the event ids or any other alert for the job that is hanging from this remote windows Exchange server ...

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Sankar_ganesh
Level 4
Gauri

Thank you for your response.

please find answer for your question.

1. ---have you activated AOFO for this backup ?

No. Cus that is Exchange server.

2. ---As you have mentioned " Now i am taking backup only the Exchange database ( previous slection)" , in this case WIndows Server has to be recovered manually and then install BE and Exchange and restored Exchange Data ..

Ya i can do by above manner, but what is the use of IDR here.. Actullay i am looking to provide IDR solution for my exchange server.

3. ---Could you please also check the event ids or any other alert for the job that is hanging from this remote windows Exchange server ...

No i couldnt find any Event log at this time related to backup exec.

Can you give me soltion to complete my full backup when my selection is not haveing any exclution. Cus i need to complete my IDR test for Exchangeserver

Hi Sankar,

In order to create IDR bootable media , full successfull backup has to be taken prior to that , so that the .dr File gets updated and then .asr files either on IDR CD or diskett

---have you activated AOFO for this backup ?

---As you have mentioned " Now i am taking backup only the Exchange database ( previous slection)" , in this case WIndows Server has to be recovered manually and then install BE and Exchange and restored Exchange Data ..

---Could you please also check the event ids or any other alert for the job that is hanging from this remote windows Exchange server ...

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Is there any antivirus running durning the backup?

-- We would suggest you to stop the Antivirus before the backup...

Thank You..

Sankar_ganesh
Level 4
Hi,

Thank you for all to respond my question.

Today i have found out that even if i select single drive, its happening the same. The backup is not completing. Seems the job runs and appears to be running successfully but the job never finishes.

Can any one provide solution for this

Sankar_ganesh
Level 4
If i disable IDR, through a registry setting, then the backup runs
successfully.

The same problem has a solution at Veritas Knowledgebase and you can find
it at the below URL:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255242.htm

but i cant disable the IDR, because i am taking full backup for IDR only..

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

You could exclude the User Data folder from System state since it contains items that are not required by the machine to operate. For example, Exchange Data, SQL Data and Active Directory Application Mode information. You can exclude this section to prevent duplicate backups from occurring when the Agents to backup Exchange and SQL data.

Also, so that the DR files are updated in spite of the excludes in the full backup, refer to the following document:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274187

Hope it helps!