Mac1983
Level 4

Hi Guys

I am struggling with the following error on my Backup Exec 2010 Media Server:

The backup failed with error code: e0008488 - Access Is Denied

Agent Used: No

AOFO Used: Yes

• I am trying to backup a NAS Device
  • I need to urgently backup the NAS Device and therefore had allocated 4 Tapes to the Scratch Media Set for this Job as i intend to do it manually until i have a succesfull backup set.
  • This is the only backup job scheduled at the moment.

1. Weird thing is it does'nt state 'what' was it that the access was denied to ? It does'nt give me any file names under Set Detail Information - Backup.
  2. It only gives me a set of filenames which were either 'skipped' or detected as 'corrupt'.
  3. Under the Devices Tab i See that 2 Tapes have been written to completely. The 3rd tape is almost 90% full but did not complete (probably due to the error) and the 4th tape is still in the Scratch Media Set. 

I looked into the following article: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH71644&profileURL=https%3A%2F%2Fsy...

Out of the 4 causes listed in the above article for the error, i could not find any one of the 4 to be of any relevance in this scenario.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a Lot !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Check that the BESA has full read/write authority for the entire NAS.

2) Make sure that there is no other applications accessing the data that you are trying to back up.  AOFO will not work with a NAS.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Mac1983
Level 4

** EDIT **

Just to check what went on during the backup i tried and observed the following:

1. Created a new 'restore' job and navigated to the restore by Media option. Could see that the files were written to the Tape Drive, however, the ones which were listed as either 'skipped' or 'corrupt' came up with a red cross to the left of them.
  2. Total Data written to the Tapes is around 1.6 TB out of 1.8 TB.
  3. My point is if 1.6 TB is "good" i should probably retain these Tapes because atleast i would have more than 80% of the data backed up (ignore the math) for worst case scenario considering the NAS goes toast or something in the future before i can get a complete backup set.

The most important question is this - are the files listed as 'skipped' or 'corrupt' the only files that were not backed up (due to the error)  to the tapes ?

Or there's more files that i just don't know about at the moment ?

Thanks a Lot !

Mac1983
Level 4

** EDIT 2 **

I went through the XML Log file generated for this job and observed the following:

1. The XML File has logged all the files which were marked as 'skipped' under set detail information - backup. It has also logged that the files which were skipped were 'in use' and resulted in an 'Access Denied' error. This piece of info was not straightaway available under the Job History in 'set detail information - backup' within the BE Console.
  2. The info mentioned above atleast eliminates "Security Permissions" as a possibility for the Access Denied Error.
  3. Now - I had enabled AOFO in the Backup Job properties. If its still unable to backup files that are open/in-use, what are my ways around it to get the Job done since enabling AOFO has'nt been enough. 

Thanks a Lot !

Mac1983
Level 4

** EDIT 3 **

I just calculated the size of the Backup Target and the size of the Backed Up Data (per BE Console)

- Target Share = 1843.2 GB

- Backed Up Byte Count = 1670 GB

- There's still approx 170 GB unacccounted for.

- Looking at the total size of the files that were skipped and reported corrupt, which is far less than 170 GB, i should still have a hell of a lot more files that may have not been backed up at all apart from the ones that were reported as 'skipped' or 'corrupt'.

Not sure which way to go now ..

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks !

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Check that the BESA has full read/write authority for the entire NAS.

2) Make sure that there is no other applications accessing the data that you are trying to back up.  AOFO will not work with a NAS.

Mac1983
Level 4

Hi pkh

Thanks for your response.

1 - Is the BE SA differrent from the Domain account configured for Backups ? Where can i verify this ?

2 - The files (that were skipped) are all primarily excel files. After i enabled AOFO i did see a considerable increase in the total data being backed as compared to the last time it failed. If AOFO is not designed to work with a NAS device i am kind of struggling to understand how willl the backup ever work because some file or the other will inevitably be open considering the size of the NAS Server and the number of users who access it.

Thanks a lot !

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The BESA is the account used to start most of the BE services.  It can be the BE logon account.  It can also be different.

Don't you run your backups after office hours when your users are not working?

Mac1983
Level 4

Hi pkh

Thanks for your response.

The backup does run after office hours but am not sure if everybody in the office here religiously close all there running applications and log off/shutdown their PCs.

The Domain Admin account is the account under which all the services are configured. This Account also has "Full Control" priviledges over the Share which is being backed up.

Thanks a lot !

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Unfortunately, there is no easy solution to your problem.  You would just have to remind your users to close their applications before they leave the office.

Mac1983
Level 4

Thanks pkh

I have decided to create 2 new sets of backup jobs and divide the entire NAS Data between them just so i could get a seggregated view of what's going on.

I have run into issues while testing Resource Credentials during the Job Creation.

I have opened a new thread regarding it.

I shall comeback to this one once i have a new set of backup jobs running for the NAS Device.

Thanks a lot!

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Mac1983
Level 4

I closed another thread which i had opened while discussing this topic

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backing-data-nas-resource-credentials-fails-communica...

The above thread did provide partial resolution to my ongoing issues as a whole. I would be opening a new thread to discuss certain issues i have run into after managing to get rid of the "access denied" error.

thanks to pkh n kunal !