Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup job canceled because LiveUpdate is running at a random time

HotRob
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I have a job that is randomly canceled with the error:

"The job was canceled because the response to a media request alert was Cancel, or becasue the alert was configured to automatically respond with Cancel, or because the Backup Exec Job Engine service was stopped."

I have found in Windows event viewer that LiveUpdate is running and installing a hotfix onto the main backup server and this then restarts the Backup Exec Server Service which kills the job because the remote agent can't talk to the backup server.

This is the second time in the past two months the server has decided to do a check at 4am on a thursday morning and install a Hotfix.

We are running Backupexec 2010 R2 and i have scheduled the Live Update to check for updates on a Sunday night and notify us but not install anything. This worked fine under backup Exec 12 and 12.5 but this version just seems to want to do it's updates randomly. I've disabled the LiveUpdate option now and we are looking at upgrading to BE 2010 R3 to see if this will fix the issue.

Has anyone else come across this or have any ideas on how to fix it besides a complete re-install?

Cheers,

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Rob,

I normally leave it as a manual process to be honest. This way I get to test patches on a test server before deploying elsewhere.

You might want to check the link below which will tell you how to schedule a LiveUpdate. It states multiple times a day, but use the methodology to schedule it at an appropriate time for you.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/a7d8859c077770e7882573410063494b/7126f085b9e9a...&*=

Thanks!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Rob,

I normally leave it as a manual process to be honest. This way I get to test patches on a test server before deploying elsewhere.

You might want to check the link below which will tell you how to schedule a LiveUpdate. It states multiple times a day, but use the methodology to schedule it at an appropriate time for you.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/a7d8859c077770e7882573410063494b/7126f085b9e9a...&*=

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you have any other Symantec products on the system that download using LiveUpdate overnight (i.e. Anti-Virus etc?) Note if it is this then the reason it is intermittent even though the other product has a regular schedule is because the service stop will only happen if a new update is available which you don't have on the system.

Have you or anyone else been making changes to the way Backup Exec is registered with LiveUUpdate using BEUpdateOps.exe?

Bascially this command line tool lets you:

Register/unregsiter BackuP Exec form LiveUpdate (using -AddBE or -RemoveBE swictches

OptOut BE from being linked with LiveUpdate operations of other Symantec products (-OptOut)

OptIn BE to make it download when other Symantec products use LiveUpdate (-OptIn)

The OptIn/OptOut switches also controll whether or not Bakup Exec is seen if you run LUALL.exe directly instead of running LiveUpdate from inside of Backup Exec.

HotRob
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry i haven't replied earlier i didn't seem to get any notification.

We've since upgraded to BackupExec R3 and the same problem has not happened so far. You made good point Colin, we do have Symantec Endpoint Manager on the same server and that had been installed after BackupExec.

After checking further into the event viewer logs our SEP scan on that server is still running at the scheduled time so I've set the time for a little later in the morning and will see what happens this weekend.

Thanks for the tip on scheduling the Liveupdate using Task manager Craig. A great suggestion.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Robin

HotRob
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hey guys,

BE decided to run it's update when the SEP Manager Liveupdate ran so i've used the BEUpdateOps tool to opt out and we'll see what this produces over the rest of the day (hopefully no more surprises) and then over the weekend.

Cheers,

Rob

HotRob
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks to the BEUpdateOps suggestion from Colin (and rescheduling it outside a scheduled AV scan) it now works!

Thanks Colin!

HotRob
Level 4
Partner Accredited

But even though it's set to notify only (not download and update) it ran the liveupdate on the weekend and notifies us by email but then downloads and installs it.

Any other suggestions please?

Cheers,

Rob

Colin_Weaver

Ok that sounds like a  different issue - are you saying that you have now scheduled LiveUpdate within itself to go and auto download patches or are you still referring to a setting within the SEP system?

HotRob
Level 4
Partner Accredited

So I've used the BEUpdateOps to optout of the LiveUpdate run by SEPM - which is on the same server and within Backup Exec i've set it to "Only notify me of avaliable updates (updates will not be installed or downloaded). You will be notified by a Backup Exec alert."

So BackupExec now checks and notifies us of the updates - which is great - but when it finds a new update it automaticallly installs it as well. But i haven't selected the setting to automatically install the new update. :(

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Robin

HotRob
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Yes i've now scheduled Liveupdate within Backup Exec and it is running independantly of the liveupdate within SEPM which is on the same server.

I selected the option to allow it to notify me of the new updates but not install them. Backup exec send the notification to say there are new updates but then it goes ahead and installs them itself even though i haven't checked that option.

Cheers,

Rob

HotRob
Level 4
Partner Accredited

disabling the live update and run any updates manually on a server update weekend. Still can't figure out why it decides to randomly update. Grrr!

VJware
Level 6

this can happen if another app is running LU & downloads all updates since there is only one instance of LU installed...

to confirm if BE is excluding from other app's updates such as SEP, Type at start - run - luall.exe

Is BE listed in the products to update ( make sure you have to interactive mode from the LiveUpdate icon in the Control Panel )

HotRob
Level 4
Partner Accredited

When i run luall.exe from the start run prompt it only shows Symantec Endpoint products and not BE.

I did run the optout with the beutil, wouldn't that negate this anyway?

Colin_Weaver

The opt out option does stop BE being visible when running LUALL directly, VJware's suggestion is just a way to confirm that the opt out has worked.

Why BE's own schedule sometimes install updates even though you have not selected auto install is a different problem that may need a formal support case open for us to look into it.

HotRob
Level 4
Partner Accredited

We've disabled the LiveUpdate and do it manually with the monthly updates. We''ll hopefully be moving to BE2012 next week so will so what impact the upgrade has.

Cheers,

Rob