cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup job not spanning tapes

Steve_Pipe
Level 2
Hi, I'm using Backup Exec 12.5 SP1 with all the latest patches. I have a job that will span two tapes but it doesn't load the second and I get a msg to import new media. This is not possible obviously because the tape drive is locked during an active job, the autoloader is full of blank tapes.

I am using Server 2003 R2 SP2
Powervault 122T SDLT320
Lastest drivers and firmware
Tapes have overwrite protection 4weeks, append infinite

error:V-275-439
Please insert overwritable media

This was all working in v9 but since using 12.5 spanning hasn't worked.

Any ideas?
14 REPLIES 14

chicojrman
Level 6
Get bigger tapes possibly, try shutting down all BackupExec services, then run an NTBackup job that will span to at least two tapes. If it does span as expected, then you need to contact Symantec support and open an incident

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Not sure why you are having problems

have you tried creating partitions on the loader and pointing the job at the partitions?

as Chico says, you should probably open an incident with Symantec

rookie11
   VIP   
are the remaining media[blank media] in scratch pool

MitchR
Level 6
I seem to recall having this problem a long time ago.  If memory serves, fresh brand-new tapes wouldn't always be seen as scratch tapes inside BE.

I now make a habit of doing at least a "Quick Erase" on all new media, and verifying that they are in the "Scratch Media" pool.

I also often see issues where there I have 2 tapes that are partially full, and when a job fills up one of them, BE refuses to use the other one - instead asking for a new tape.  I know that's not your issue, but maybe it's related.

rookie11
   VIP   
whenever fresh tape is inserted make sure label it then it will go to scratch pool.
as u mentioned 2nd tape not taken by BE . are both the tapes in same media set ???? check it

XxXxX
Level 3
"I also often see issues where there I have 2 tapes that are partially full, and when a job fills up one of them, BE refuses to use the other one - instead asking for a new tape. I know that's not your issue, but maybe it's related"

This is kind of my issue. I have previously used tapes so i erase them which moves them to the scratch media folder. I then associate them with a particular media set. I know the job will go over 2-3 tapes so they are all put into the same set. The media set has a overwrite period, at present its at 4week - infinite allow append. This is how its always been with 9.1.
I've done a test with 0hours overwrite - infinite allow append and it works fine. will need to do another test to append to this tape and see if it overwrites what was already there.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
This is kind of my issue. I have previously used tapes so i erase them which moves them to the scratch media folder. I then associate them with a particular media set. I know the job will go over 2-3 tapes so they are all put into the same set. The media set has a overwrite period, at present its at 4week - infinite allow append. This is how its always been with 9.1.

If you move newly label or erased tapes from the scratch set into a production set, they take on all properties of that media set as of the move, including the OPP and APP.  You should leave then in the Scratch media set and allow BackupExec to move them when the volume is opened.  With proper OPP and APP, you don't even need to re-label.  Just let BackupExec reuse the volumes after you no longer need the data on them

I've done a test with 0hours overwrite - infinite allow append and it works fine. will need to do another test to append to this tape and see if it overwrites what was already there.

An APPEND job will not overrwrite the first volume it opens, (unless the job is "Append, else Overwrite")  it will first look for a volume that is in the target media set that is still within the APP of that media set.  If it cannot find one, it will then overwrite a scratch or overwriteable tape

The second volume of an Append job will ALWAYS use a scratch or overwriteable tape, by design.  That is: only the first volume of an Append job actually appends to existing data

XxXxX
Level 3
im confused how it works now. in 9 they were always in media sets, so are you saying you don't need them now?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sorry if I was confusing

if you use a Global Overwrite of NONE, then you can move a newly labeled or erased tape to a media set, and it should work.

However, I've seen some really weird things happen when NONE is used, and always use PARTIAL.  With this setting, if you label a tape then move it to a media set that has a 14 day OPP,  you will not be able to write to that tape for another 14 days.  So you simply leave it in the scratch set and let BackupExec move it when the volume is opened

XxXxX
Level 3
ok i think i understand now, though its weird why it allows to write to the first tape and not the second when they have both been labeled/erased and moved to a set at the same time.

Last night i erased some pre labeled tapes left it in the scratch set, the job picked them up and assigned them to the media set of the job. The assigned set is now different to the label on the tape so i guess erase the tape and leave the label blank? will it label them accordingly?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The assigned set is now different to the label on the tape so i guess erase the tape and leave the label blank? will it label them accordingly?

Sorry 'bout that.  Forgot to mention that you also need to verify that from Tools\Options\Media Management  that "Use Overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch  media' is selected

WilsonGroup
Not applicable
Hi Ken,
Do you have any documentation on the behavious whereby "...The second volume of an Append job will ALWAYS use a scratch or overwriteable tape, by design. That is: only the first volume of an Append job actually appends to existing data..."? We appear to be experiencing issues trying to have a single job append to more than two tapes and we need to confirm whether this is actually the reason for the issue.

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/192265.htm

Just below fig 3, point 1

Geoff_Vane1
Level 3
This may help, I'm not sure but this was my problem many times until I found this out:

You must group your media in backup exec.
This is called a media set.

1. On the navigation bar, click Media.
2. Under Media Set Tasks in the task pane, click New Media Set.
3. Type in a name you can remember and recognize easily.
4. Drag all the tapes you are using, into this Media Set.
5. Set the media set to:
* Overwrite protection period = Infinite - Don’t Allow Overwrite
* Append period = Infinite - Allow Append

++ And now the most important trick! ++
Next time your going to do a backup, SELECT THE CORRECT MEDIA SET.
If you do not select the correct media set before starting backup, your half filled tapes are not accepted!

When you prepare for backup, you'll see the "device and Media" tab.
You'll see "when this job begins" with choices like "overwrite" and two options for "append".
Look a bit up, you'll see: "Media set:"
SELECT THE NAME YOU GAVE YOUR SET FROM THE PULLDOWN FIELD.

If you select the name your media set has, all half filled tapes will be accepted and filled until they are full.