cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup job pulling media from other sets when current tape runs out of space

J_R
Level 2

I have an issue where even though I have put a new media (formatted and re-labeled before putting into the correct media set) sometimes my backup jobs will take recyclable media from other sets over the usable media in its own set.

I will give you an example.

I have a daily incrementals (on for files and one for DB's), Friday full backups and month end full backups.

The incident I had last week where the Daily DB backups had a tape in with a little bit of space left on it, so I loaded another blank tape (formatted and re-labled then moved to the correct media set) and instead of taking that tape as the next one to continue the job when it ran out of space on the first one, it went and took a Daily File tape out of it's media set and into the Daily DB media set.

I have checked the Media management options and it is set to Overwrite recyclable media contained in targeting media set before overwritting scratch media.

Any suggestions?

1 REPLY 1

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@J_R wrote:

I have an issue where even though I have put a new media (formatted and re-labeled before putting into the correct media set) sometimes my backup jobs will take recyclable media from other sets over the usable media in its own set.

Do NOT put the tape manually into a media set.  When you do that, the tape instantly gets the overwrite protection associated with that media set.  Likely that takes the tape out of useful service for weeks or months until the protection rules of that media set expire.

Leave the tape in the SCRATCH media set after erasing or labeling it, and BE will get it when it needs it.

BE only pulls tapes from other media sets as a last resort.