cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup job setting help needed

shirasnahas987
Level 2

Hai,

I recently started using the symantec backup exec 2010 R3. since my manager has told me to take care of the backup jobs i need help in doing it.. Ours is a hotel industry. i have one main server, 2 app server and one interface server. i have 18 backup tapes of 320 gb each.(brand: HP dat 320 gb data catridge).

I need help in setting up a good back up job. Please suggest it with order and details of full backup and defferential or incremental...

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...so that data should fit onto 1 tape. Just make sure that compression is set to on.

You need to find out how long the data needs to be kept for Daily, Weekly and Monthly as this is something I can't recommend. Using the GFS policy will allow you to accomplish this and allow you to control the jobs a lot better.

Once you know how long you want to retain your data, you can then split the tapes up into the 3 media sets created during the creation of the GFS policy. Set your Append/OPP settings correctly and you should be fine.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

Hi,

18 tapes doesn't give you much in terms of options...

1. How long must you keep your backups?

2. Do you want to follow a GFS policy? Grandfather (Monthly), Father (Weekly), Son (Daily) backups?

3. How much data are you planning on backing up?

Thanks!

shirasnahas987
Level 2

hai..

thanks for replying.

I would like to go with the gfs policy...when i did a triall one day full backup , the data came around 180 to 200 gb....

CraigV

...so that data should fit onto 1 tape. Just make sure that compression is set to on.

You need to find out how long the data needs to be kept for Daily, Weekly and Monthly as this is something I can't recommend. Using the GFS policy will allow you to accomplish this and allow you to control the jobs a lot better.

Once you know how long you want to retain your data, you can then split the tapes up into the 3 media sets created during the creation of the GFS policy. Set your Append/OPP settings correctly and you should be fine.

Thanks!