cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup job with more than one server question.

kyle_beckham_2
Level 4
We currently have our 10d setup with a backup job for each server seperately doing a Full backup each night this works fine for us.

But now we are reviewing slightly different backup methods IE: full - incrementals etc. With that it will probably make more sense to create a job that includes all of the servers for the full backup and another job that includes all of those servers for the incremental jobs.

What I want to know is if a job that includes multiple servers fails in the middle of the job. How do I tell backup exec 10d to run-run the job but only run the backup for xyz server only since it was the one that failed. I dont want to have to rerun the whole job and re-backup all of the servers in the job again.

Just wasnt sure if there was an easy way to do that without having to create a new dummy job just to backup that one server.
5 REPLIES 5

Jon_Rhoades
Level 4
There is not an easy way that I am aware of to do that.

as you mentioned you would probably have to do a "dummy" job to do that. If the job fails say on the 4th server if you wanted to start from there you would have to create a new job to backup servers 4, 5, 6 etc.

Another idea though would be to have the jobs call eachother in sequence. For example when Server 1 backup completes it calls server 2 backup to run, server 2 calls server 3 etc. If it fails you should be able to run the job on the server that failed,and it would call the next one etc.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello kyle,

If you are using one selection list for all the servers, the only possible way is to create a new, may be a one time job, for that particular Server.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Peter_Ludwig
Level 6
I had the same problem some time ago and ended in different jobs for each server. For one server I even divided it into two jobs.
Unfortunately it is still not possible with BE that you just resume a failed or cancelled job from the point were it had to stop.

greetings
Peter

kyle_beckham_2
Level 4
with this said "Another idea though would be to have the jobs call eachother in sequence. For example when Server 1 backup completes it calls server 2 backup to run, server 2 calls server 3 etc. If it fails you should be able to run the job on the server that failed,and it would call the next one etc. "

how do you start another job one after the other?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Use the command line utility BEMCMD

See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275538.htm for the Guide