cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup jobs disappearing from job history

Richard_Dempsey
Level 2

Backup jobs disappearing from job history and not available for restore. I have 5 jobs running weekly; 4 incremental and 1 full.

The Monday job is set to overwrite the tape and is an incremental.

The Tuesday and Wednesday jobs use the same tape and preference is to append

Thursday’s job is identical to Tuesday and Wednesday however it ejects the tape

Monday thru Thursday use the same backup selection lists

Friday is a new tape and is a full backup

What am I missing? Smiley Sad

8 REPLIES 8

Jared_S_
Level 6
Employee
Hi Richard -

What are the overwrite protection periods and the append periods for the media sets you are using?

When the Thursday's job kicks the tape out what information does it give you?

Does it produce an error or just information?

How large is your data and how large are the tapes you are using?

- Jared

Jeffrey_Kusters
Level 3
We are experiencing the same problem. I am sure that a certian job ran correctly and at some point I cannot find the job in the job history pane.

We are using Backup Exec 11d (rev 6235) with SP1 and hotfix 23.

Media sets:
Differential Day: append 16 hours, ovewrite prot. 6 days
Full Week: append 56 hours, overwrite prot. 4 weeks
Full Month: append 56 hours, overwrite prot. 1 year

We use three polcies and 22 selection lists. We first run a backup to a staging area on our SAN and make duplicates to tape the next day.

I am very curious what is causing this!

Jerry_Battaglia
Level 4
If it's not one thing, it's another with this software. I'm replying to the message that is most closely related to mine, although I read a lot of similar complaints with no resolutions.
I'm running 7170 with all hotfixes, no other software on the backup server etc. etc. etc.

Every once in a while, a job does not show up in the job history. I thought the jobs were being skipped. But, this weekend I had an opportunity to check the backup server during the full file backup. This backup usually takes about 10 hours to run, 1.2TB, and overwrites 6 week old tapes. Very simple backup and the only one I can really trust. When I checked on it, it was at around 900GB and chugging along like normal.

I come in this morning, there is NO job history. I check the Media tab and all of the tapes loaded for this backup show an allocated date of some time in July. (We rotate tapes). The tapes were set to overwriteable, etc. so please, for the love of God do not send me links to the same boring articles about checking network connections and logon accounts. In fact, I doubt that there is a resolution to this other than upgrading the software to another manufacturer. I'm curious if anyone else is seeing this. This is very strange in that I actually saw with my own eyes progress on this backup, but no evidence after the fact...

qenetstech
Not applicable
I have the same problem. Last week, my Thursday job just didn't show up in the job history when I came in on Friday. I thought it was strange, but mostly forgot about it until today when I cam in and last night's Wednesday job didn't send me an email to notify me of completion. I looked in the history and it is not there.

I looked in the schedule and it should have happened. I looked at the tape that the job should have used and it is over writeable, and appendable, but hasn't been modified since last Wednesday. The Exchange store shows that it was backed up the previous day, not last night.

There are no relevant alerts. No errors. NO sign othe than the schedule that this job existed on that day. every other Wednesday, but not that one.

I am totally lost. How can the job just not be in the history? It should show up as completed, completed with exceptions, failed, missed, cancelled... anything.

But it is just plain not in the history.

What is going on here?

Jerry_Battaglia
Level 4
This week, I checked my full backup remotely on Sunday and it was operating properly. This morning I came in and the job did show in the log and the tapes are labeled correctly. Mine may have been a complete fluke.

On the other hand, I do have a Saturday night Incremental Exchange backup (not GRT) that will not run. The job is scheduled to run Saturday through Thursday night, then Duplicates to tape during the day on Friday. I've recreated the job numerous times and it just won't run on Saturday night. No missed job in the log, no runs, no hits, no errors! We don't have that much change on Saturdays, so I'm not worried about it considering our current strategy (read: I do not have 16 hours to devote to sitting on hold with Symantec only to be told by "Frank" that everything "appears OK, let's see how it goes").

Scott_Straub
Level 4
I'd LOVE to see a solution to this issue.  This is maybe the most alarming of all the issues we have with Backup Exec. 

rsanchez
Not applicable
I know it's over a year ago but is there an answer to this issue? I have been experiancing this for some time. Thank you.

Lively
Level 5

I would go ahead and create a new thread with your information. 

There has been a new version of the software released and it would be best if everyone knew what level of the software you were at.  The inital post is over 2 years old and doesn't even say what versio it is on.