cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup of Apple Mac Server Fails - Remote Agent Not Detected

Snoop_Frog
Level 3

I'm running Backup Exec 2010 R2 with all patches on a Windows Server 2008 R2 media server. 

I'm attempting to backup a Apple Mac server that I've backed up successfully in the past with Backup Exec 2010 R2.  I've verified that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed on the Mac server and have verified that port 10,000 is listening on the Mac server (i.e., I can telnet to the Mac server on port 10,000 and receive a response).

Recent backups of the server have failed with the error "Remote Agent not detected on Server.domain.com".  Can anybody provide any suggestions for getting backups working again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Snoop_Frog
Level 3

I opened a case with Symantec support and have a solution.  I was creating the selection list by going to Favorite Resources -> Macintosh Systems.  I'm not sure why this didn't work. 

Instead, the engineer had me go to User-defined Selections and then specify the IP of my server.  I was then prompted for credentials, which then allowed me to browse the file system on my Mac server.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Is your remote agent running? Have you tried a reboot of your Mac server to see if this resolves it?

Thanks!

Snoop_Frog
Level 3

Craig,

I'm going to reboot the machine shortly and then run a test backups.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Snoop_Frog
Level 3

I reinstalled version 4164.5 of the Mac agent and rebooted the server but I'm still getting the "Remote Agent not detected" error message.  I'm running Backup Exec 2010 R2 with Service Pack 1 and seven additional hotfixes.  The Help -> About window shows this to be "Version 13.0 Rev. 4164 (64-bit)" so it appears that I'm using the correct version of the Remote Agent.

I'm going to check with my firewall administrators and verify that no traffic is being dropped between the two servers.

I do have a support contract, so I'll open a case if you don't have any more ideas.

Snoop_Frog
Level 3

I opened a case with Symantec support and have a solution.  I was creating the selection list by going to Favorite Resources -> Macintosh Systems.  I'm not sure why this didn't work. 

Instead, the engineer had me go to User-defined Selections and then specify the IP of my server.  I was then prompted for credentials, which then allowed me to browse the file system on my Mac server.