Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup of Exch2007 fails

John_V
Level 3
I cannot get the backup to work.  It constantly fails with this error:

Backup- \\MAIL2007\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options. The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file: '-528 The current log file is missing. '

Backup- \\MAIL2007\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group
Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options. The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file: '-501 The log file is corrupt. '

Message Edited by John V on 03-17-2008 06:24 AM
17 REPLIES 17

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Take a backup of the Exchange IS with NTBACKUP and then try BEWS again to see if the error persists.
Also try a non GRT based backup if it does.

John_V
Level 3
I ran an NTBackup job of the exchange database.  It completed without errors.  I then rescheduled the BackupExec job, and it failed.  Last time it failed with both first and second storage groups giving errors.  This time it was just the first storage group, which is the really important one.  We barely use the second for anything.

The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange transaction log Logs was successful.

The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange database Mailbox Database was successful.

Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options.  The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-528 The current log file is missing. '

-----

Backup- \\MAIL2007\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group

Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options.

The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-528 The current log file is missing. '

rshannon
Level 2
We are getting the same error when trying to do a GRT backup to a NAS B2D folder.  Backups to a local B2D folder work fine.  We ran NTBackup succesfully and had a similar result.  When trying a GRT backup to NAS, one storage group worked the first time it ran,  both failed on the second try.

We are running Backup Exec 12 with the following hotfixes:

Media Label: IMG000119GRT backup set folder: \\BRISTOL\ExchBkp\BTD\IMG000119The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange transaction log Logs was successful.The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange database Fourth Mailbox Database was successful.Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options.  The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-528 The current log file is missing. '

Media Label: IMG000120GRT backup set folder: \\BRISTOL\ExchBkp\BTD\IMG000120The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange transaction log Logs was successful.The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange database Third Mailbox Database was successful.Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options.  The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-528 The current log file is missing. '

John_V
Level 3
That must be it!  I am also backing up to a NAS drive.  Did you figure out how to get it working or is this a problem with Backupexec 12?

I have yet to get a good backup of my exchange mailboxes.  I can back up the database without GRT, but it doesn't do me any good if I can't selectively restore email that was accidentally deleted.

rshannon
Level 2
Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to get it working with GRT.  Right now I have it doing just regular full backups to the NAS.  It's pretty frustrating since we bought BackupExec specifically for the GRT backups.

I've been messing with this for a while now, so I have a feeling it's BackupExec 12. Though I could be missing something.  Has anyone out there been able to get GRT backups working with a NAS?

Bfivelson
Level 2
Partner
Same Problem without a NAS using USB

Missing log file error

12d

2 Backups completed with GRT on Sunday 1 manual 1 scheduled

Monday scheduled failed with missing log file error

Removed GRT and backups are completing successfully

You definatly have my vote on this being a 12d issue

Bfivelson
Level 2
Partner
I forgot something important

GRT Backups to tape seem to be working with no problem

Go figure

Maybe they should call it 12t :)

cdnbikerdude
Level 2
Hi Everyone

Same problem here. 

Backup Exec 12 with Exchange 2007.   All service packs.   Trying to backup GRT to a USB 500GB drive and it fails with the

Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options.  The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-528 The current log file is missing. '

For Both First and Second Storage areas.

Works fine if we turn off GRT.

Any fixes for this yet?

John_V
Level 3
Someone has to have an answer or suggestion to this problem.  This forum is appearing completely useless.  My question has been posted for like 2 months now and no one from symantec has responded.  Great support.  Thanks, I really feel like I got my money's worth from this product.  I didn't have any problems when it was veritas.  Looks like symantec has ruined another product.  Anyone here know of a different backup product that actually works?

John_V
Level 3
I apologize for my rant yesterday.  I did get it working finally.  I can now back up GRT to my NAS device.

Here is the rundown of all the steps I had to do to get it working properly.

1)  Make sure the backupexec system/user account is a member of domain admins and the local adminstrators on the mail server.  I know this is redundant and probably useless, but it works.

2) Add the backupexec system/user account to a member of the following groups:  exchange organization administrators, exchange public folder administrators, exchange recipient administrators.  That user may already be a member of one, but not all of them.

3)  The backupexec user must be mail enabled, so create a mailbox for that user, and DO NOT hide that account in exchange.

4)  Make sure Shadow copy is enabled on C drive of mail server, if you have exchange on a different drive, turn it on for that drive too.  GRT uses shadow copy and if it is turned off it doesn't work.

5)  Install patch for VSS on both backup server and mail server.  Microsoft KB940349.  I assumed I had it because automatic updates were on, but I did not.  Download and install it anyway to be safe.

6)  Reboot both backup and mail servers.

7)  Create job to run with advanced file open "off".  Perform consistency check before backup: no.

8)  Also in Tools, options, make sure you turn off the "Enable legacy mailbox support" and turn on the "USE GRT".

Now, when I create and run the GRT job, it works.  Finally.  Only 3 months without a good backup.  Lucky nothing happened!!!!

timbo343
Level 2
Hiya

@ John V: I have just read your post. I too am having difficulty backing up exchange mailboxes. At step number 1, "make sure the backupexec system/user account is a member of domain admins". Is this the user which is specified in backup exec? so in my case the user is backup.

Thanks

Tim 

John_V
Level 3
Whichever user is the backup exec system account.

timbo343
Level 2
Thanks for that.

A complete backup of our exchange server completed fine, but I cannot restore individual mailboxes. I think it was because i didnt have the GRT set, though have set it for tonights backup, so will see what will happen

Thanks again

Tim

shad_berscheid
Not applicable
I think I am going to try commvault.  I have several other IT people that I know of that use it and like it for backup and DR at least.

Anup
Level 6
Certified

Exchange Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) based backups may receive a jet database error -528 when backing up to a remote Backup to Disk folder (B2D) that is located on a NAS device

http://support.veritas.com/docs/305877 

HOTFIXED will be released when fixed.

Dutchie
Level 3
As of my post there is no fix out for what was posted by Anup.  John V's comment was of most help to me and if I could add to that, for me specifically, the account used by BE services on the BE server, for me, was a different account than the account used to backup the Exchange server.  Once I used the account for which I setup for Exchange backups as the BE system account (the logon account to run all the services) and gave access to the NAS device to my B2D folder everything worked.

Silvor
Level 3
I'm having the exact same issue. All of a sudden.

V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options.  The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-528 The current log file is missing. '

Really frustrating. Tried all advise in this thread too (thank you!) and unfortunately to no avail.
I have even tried setting Backup Exec back up. Reinstalling the agent on the mail server, following the steps John V kindly suggested above and nothing. Nada.

So frustrating.

Has anyone had any other solutions with this problem?

Imperative we get this working as I'm sure you can imagine.