cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup of Hyper-V hosts on a different network

suren424
Level 5

Hi,

The backup server and System logon account  are on a domain environment/network (10.0.90.x). With this account I am able to backup the servers on the domain network.

But as the Microsoft Hyper-V hosts are on different network (10.0.99.x) and on Workgroup model, can we use the same System Logon Account to install or add the Hyper-V Host on to the backup server and take backups or do I need to use a different account which is created on the Hyper-V hosts.

Hyper-V hosts are running on Microsoft Hyper-V server 2012 R2 Core edition.

As the backup server had two NIC's, i have configured one network on each

NIC1  -- 10.0.90.x

NIC2  -- 10.0.99.x

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Use the BE's account (same username and password) and add it as a local account (local administrator) on the Hyper-V hosts.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6

Either ways. You can either add BE's system logon account as a local admin on the Hyper-V hosts (and the VMs) or add the Hyper-V local admin as an account to BE. The first method is easier though.

suren424
Level 5

BE's system account is a domian account. Hyper-V hosts are on workgroup model.

Can we add a domain account on a workgroup computer ?

Thanks

VJware
Level 6

Use the BE's account (same username and password) and add it as a local account (local administrator) on the Hyper-V hosts.

suren424
Level 5

Thanks ...

i mean BE's account is backup@abc.net, do i need to add it as backup@abc.net or just as systemname\backup on a workgroup ?

pls ensure the logon account is added in the format domainname\username ...Even on workgroup do we need to follow this format ...?

VJware
Level 6

On the workgroup, add the user as "backup".