cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup of Microsoft Team Foundation server 2010

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

I have BE 2010 R3 on Windows 2008 ent(64bit).

And have Microsoft Team Foundation 2010 on Windows 2008 R2(64bit).

I came to know the MS TFS use MS SQL as its database but I have somem query as follows:-

The TFS admin said that he can give permission to some projects level to the users, and I guess this permission have no effect on SQL database.

To take the backup of MS TFS I found the following link of Microsoft support:-

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms253151.aspx 

But the above link  said every thing and any thing about TFS.

So, if  take the only SQL database backup will that backup the TFS data, user permission and every thing.

Please help.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you backup a SQL database, the permissions will also be backed up.

You are backing up a lot of SQL databases and you should take note of this caution in the document quoted by you.

You must synchronize all backups to the same time stamp to prevent synchronization or data mismatch errors. The easiest way to ensure synchronization is by using marked transactions.

and plan your backup and restore strategy accordingly.

To restore your databases to a marked transaction, read the the Restoring from SQL transaction logs up to a named transaction section on page 1317 of the Admin Guide.

How to use marked transaction is beyond the scope of this forum and you should consult somebody knowledgeable in SQL Server.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you backup a SQL database, the permissions will also be backed up.

You are backing up a lot of SQL databases and you should take note of this caution in the document quoted by you.

You must synchronize all backups to the same time stamp to prevent synchronization or data mismatch errors. The easiest way to ensure synchronization is by using marked transactions.

and plan your backup and restore strategy accordingly.

To restore your databases to a marked transaction, read the the Restoring from SQL transaction logs up to a named transaction section on page 1317 of the Admin Guide.

How to use marked transaction is beyond the scope of this forum and you should consult somebody knowledgeable in SQL Server.