cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup of NAS with out Windows Agent.

jb-hifi
Level 3
Hey everyone. First post for me so be gentle. I've been backing up a seagate black armour NAS using backup exec with out the windows agent. It has been running for a couple of months with out a problem but has now just decided to stop working. It refuses to authenticate to the NAS and tells me that I cannot backup with this edition of Backup exec.

So..... firstly, how do I find out if my version of BE has license for the windows agent ? I attempted to run the "Backup Exec License Assesment Tool" but that crashes upon loading. Error "Unable to launch License Assesment Tool"

Secondly, does backup exec come with a license for remote windows or do you have to buy them separately. If not, does BE come with a trial license of the windows agent that may have run out on me?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.
8 REPLIES 8

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

firstly, how do I find out if my version of BE has license for the windows agent ?

Go to tools-->Install Licenses and you will find all the licenses and keys installed.

does backup exec come with a license for remote windows or do you have to buy them separately
Backup exec comes with the base license only, we need to purchase a remote agent for windows server license if the OS on the NAS box is Windows server OS. If its Windows XP, we can install remote agent, as Windows XP does not require a License.(Windows VISTA requires a remote agent license)

If not, does BE come with a trial license of the windows agent that may have run out on me
The trial period for remote agent is over, thats the reason its throwing the error.

hope this helps...

jb-hifi
Level 3
 The NAS is linux based. From what I had read, I could get away without having a remote agent on the NAS. As long as I was prepared to live with the error's that BE would throw about the remote agent missing, the backup would still run successfully. The version of BE is the express edition. Can I purchase remote agents for this version or do I have to upgrade?

Cheers.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hi,

So you are using Backup Exec Quick start Edition (Express).

1  : We wont be able to purchase any agents for this edition.
2  : As its a Linux Based OS on the NSA Box, we can backup the shared folders without any agent.

If you are OK with the error...its fine...

jb-hifi
Level 3
 Right.... but I'm experiencing the errors that I first mentioned when I backup this NAS. It had been working fine but all of a sudden stopped. When I try to add it as a "User Selection" BE tells me that access is denied and that I cannot back this box up with this edition of  BE. Is it this throwing the error because I'm using CIFS and BE expects the NAS to be a windows based system? If so then...

1. Why was is working previously and why has it now stopped ?

2. Should I look into using NFS. Can "Starter" edition backup NFS shares ?

Thanks for you help.....

jb-hifi
Level 3
BTW.... I have checked all relevent user permissions. Have tried opening the shares up for public / unrestricted access.... I don't believe it is permission related. 

Dev_T
Level 6
We can try:
1  : Open the selection List for the NSA backup
2  : go to resource Credentials and highlight NAS
3  : Click on change and add the ROOT credentials

jb-hifi
Level 3
 Hi again. This NAS unfortunately doesn't provide access to the CLI so I don't know what the ROOT credentials are and I definitely can't change anything like that through the web GUI. So would I be correct in assuming that backup exec is seeing this NAS as a windows machine because I am using CIFS to acces the NAS? This NAS support NFS shares so can BE backup NFS shares without any extra agents ?

Thanks.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Yes, NSF shares can be backed up without an agent, as far as they are visible in Backup Exec.