cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup of SQL database gets stuck for ages backing up sql master database

porress
Level 4

Hi,

I am trying to backup one of our servers with BE 2012 and it gets stuck in backing up the master database in an SQL instance.

The job status is running, no error messages so far as it is still doing that since yesterday, it is taking so long I am going to have to cancel it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

porress
Level 4

Thanks. I still not understand why it gets stuck in backing up the database but I will backup the database using SQL server and then backup the files using BE.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified
What version of SQL are you running and what SP?

porress
Level 4

I have different instances running on this W2k3 server but the one that is still stuck on "running" backup of the master database is the sophos database and it is running on SQL 2008.

porress
Level 4

I forgot. It is on sql 2008 service pack 2.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should check with Sophos as to the proper way to backup their database.  It might not be as simple as backing it up with a backup software like BE.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The version of SQL is certainly supported. However, you need to check with Sofos if there are any special permissions or settings required to backup that instance / database.

porress
Level 4

Thanks. I still not understand why it gets stuck in backing up the database but I will backup the database using SQL server and then backup the files using BE.

Ramprabhu
Level 3

Hi,

Are you using the following method to backp the SQL database:

1. Backup the SQL database using SQL internal backup

2. Backup the SQL backups (.bak) files using backup Exec

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the OP stated that he was doing it this way a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks!