Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup of Sharepoint 2007 fails with error code 0xe000942a

MattiasA
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello everyone,

We just solved an issue with Symantec Technical Support and I would like to share the solution with you guys since it's currently not possible to find the solution anywhere else.

Since I'm not allowed to add a reply to the following thread with the same error code (another resolution) I might as well create a new one.
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/error-backing-sharepoint-2007-sp2-error-code-no-exact...

Issue

The issue was that we were trying to back up a Sharepoint 2007 farm but the backup failed instantly. The message below is found in the job log.

Error code: 0xe000942a
The job failed with the following error: Backup Exec did not find any virtual
machines to dynamically include in the backup.
V-79-57344-37930

The account used for backups was in the Domain Admins group and was added as System Administrator on both the databases as well as Farm Administrator in Sharepoint.

OS and application details

Backup server (physical):
Windows 2008 R2
Backup Exec 2010 R2 (up to date as of 13th Jan 2011)

SharePoint server (physical):
Windows 2003 Enterprise x64 SP2
SharePoint 2007 SP2 (12.0.0.6421)

Database servers (both physical):
SQL-A: Windows 2003 SP2 x64 and MSSQL 2005 SP3, (9.00.4053.00)
SQL-B: Windows 2008 SP2 x64 and MSSQL 2008 SP2, (10.0.4000.0)

Solution

Using the MS SQL Studio; add the account used for backups as "db_owner" for all Sharepoint databases. System admin is simply not enough.

That's it! Try to run the backup again.

For reference, Symantec Technical Support case number: 413-556-131

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MattiasA
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello again,

New information on this has reached my ears.

If the above setup is paired with CASO and the backup goes to a storage device on a Managed Media Server, a solution is to add the farm on the MMS as well.

I hope it helps!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

So as I understand after giving those rights your backup are working fine now

or let me know if still it is causing the problem

Thank You

MattiasA
Level 4
Partner Accredited

You are correct. I just wanted to share the solution so that others don't have to spend as much time on the issue as we did.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Mattias,

I'd like to suggest you create either an article or a blog around this...it might be picked up by more people.

Thanks!

MattiasA
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hey Craig,

Before posting the above I created an article and got told to create a forum thread instead.

I'm officially confused.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I have escalated to support, and maybe if they don't have the solution on their side they can contact you.

Failing that, contact Leslie Miller via PM and send this through to her and see if Symantec are aware of the fix?

Well done on sorting it out yourself!

MattiasA
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello again,

New information on this has reached my ears.

If the above setup is paired with CASO and the backup goes to a storage device on a Managed Media Server, a solution is to add the farm on the MMS as well.

I hope it helps!