cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup of local server stalls/hangs Backup Exec 2010 R3

mbjoe
Level 4

For the past few day the backup of the local server that Backup-Exec is installed on has been hanging.

It backs up the remote server fine, but when it comes time to backup the local server the job just hangs at "Running" until I manually restart the BEX services to kill the backup.

Nothing shows up in event viewer and nothing shows up in the Backup log. Nothing has changed on the server/backup schedule... it just started to randomly hang like this and I'm not sure why.

The server is Windows Server 2008 R2 and we are using Backup Exec 2010 R3.

Any suggestions on what I can try?

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I'd start with a restart of that server. Once done, try a small backup of the server itself...sending it to disk would be fine. If you can verify that the backup goes through with this, then try running your normal backup again.

I take it there are no active alerts?

THanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Pause and unpause the device, be it tape or disk, that you are backing up to.

mbjoe
Level 4

This is still happening randomly, the backups stall/hang when backing up a System State.

Rebooting the server is the only way to cancel the job.

I have tried updating to all known Hotfixes and the problem still occurs. 

I've seen this posted in a few other places but nobody really has a solution that works, anyone have any ideas?

ITSupp
Level 2

Hi, check your Application Event Log. If you sett Event ID 58063 with message "Backup Exec Alert: Media Remove" that is asking to remove the media from the drive.

I also had the same problem. The System State backup completed properly but just stalled as Running.

I installed all Hotfixes but still have the same problem (Server 2008 R2 SP1 and BE 2010 R3, re-registered VSS as recomennded on other forum).

If you have the Event I mentioned above, then apparently this is an expected behaviour.

What you need to do is on BE main screen Tools -> Alert Categories -> Media Remove (from the list) then tick "Automatically clear alert after" and set 2 minutes. Respond with "Yes".

I tried this solution from other forum that really works:

http://aka-community.symantec.com/connect/fr/forums/very-slow-performance-backup-systemstate-w2k8r2s...