cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup often fails with error "V-79-57344-34108 - An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all snapped volumes are correctly resynchronized with the original volumes"

Mooninite
Level 3

Hello!

We're often experiencing failed backups, they fail with an error "V-79-57344-34108 - An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all snapped volumes are correctly resynchronized with the original volumes".

These failures don't have any particular pattern, one can fail, the next it's backed up or two can fail and then the job is successful. One thing for sure: after server restart the next backup always succeeds, but restarting the server is not an option.

vssadmin list writers output says the writers state is stable with no errors.

Can someone advise on this?

Thanks in advance!

11 REPLIES 11

lmosla
Level 6

Hello Mooninite,

Could you give a bit more information on your environment?

Version of Backup Exec

Type of files the failing job is backing up

OS of the Media server

OS of the remote server

Thanks!

Mooninite
Level 3

Hi, Imosla,

Backup Exec version in 13.0 rev. 5204 (64 bit).

Where can I find info about type of files failing? The only error I get in the log file is "V-79-57344-34108 - An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all snapped volumes are correctly resynchronized with the original volumes."

Both OSs are Windows Server 2008 R2.

Today I have a third day in a row of failed backup. Right now the job is just hanging, no bytes counting, so I'll have no other choise as to cancel the backup.

The statistics shown is as follows:

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There could be orphaned snapshots.  You need to go to the VM and manually delete the snapshots.

Also, try taking a snapshot from the VM.  If there is an error, you would need to correct this from the VM before proceeding with another backup.

Mooninite
Level 3

Hi, pkh,

could you please clarify where I can check for orphaned snapshots?

Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Use the snapshot manager in the VM and delete all the snapshots

Mooninite
Level 3

pkh,

I am not sure I understand, what do you mean by "VM"?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Sorry I thought you are backing a VM. Ignore all my previous comments

pkh
   VIP    Certified
See whether the solution in this discussion helps https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/volsnap#comment-2951621

Mooninite
Level 3

pkh,

I don't think it's our case, cause we don't have such Event Log errors. The job just hangs. :(

lmosla
Level 6

Check for any utility or maintenance jobs that could be interfering with the backups.

Try recreating one of the jobs to see if that helps

Exclude any virus scans from the Backup Exec processes

and if possible try to schedule a time to run Live Updates and then push out the RAWs out to the remote servers

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Other things you can try are

1) disabling and enabling the shadow copy on the affected volume.  This will get rid of previous volume snapshots.

2) increase the space allowed for shadow copy.

3) move the shadow copy to another volume

If you don't know how to do any of these, search the Web, in particular the Microsoft site.