cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup only full, can't incremental

RIDHO07
Level 4

Dear,

i have some problem with job backup increment. the backup cannot running increment but always running full backup. the previous job, full backup running successfully.

this issue occur when increase new virtual disk (drinian*******_9.vhdx) on that server, full backup succesfully and backup incremental running very high same with full backup.

i find some information " A Full backup was run on this virtual machine, since the option to fall back to a full backup was selected. Incremental\\Differential backup methods are not supported for this virtual machine."

- symantec backup exec 2012 hotfix 217347

- server windows 2008 R2

- Vmware version 5.5

what should i do? please inform me if i'm wrong.

what is the best practies after increase virtual disk?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

BE 2012 does support VMware 5.5

Since you have HF 217347, then safe to assume that BE 2012 is patched up with SP4.

If possible, reset the CBT for this VM and then rerun the full backup followed by the incremental. Observe if the incremental backup runs fine or not. Use this KB for resetting the CBT - https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH197311

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If I am not mistaken, BE 2012 does not support VMware 5.5

VJware
Level 6

BE 2012 does support VMware 5.5

Since you have HF 217347, then safe to assume that BE 2012 is patched up with SP4.

If possible, reset the CBT for this VM and then rerun the full backup followed by the incremental. Observe if the incremental backup runs fine or not. Use this KB for resetting the CBT - https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH197311

RIDHO07
Level 4

yes, backup have hotfix 217347 and with patch SP4

sorry VJware, this step can't to do because the VM is server production. i worry this step will be impact to user/client when connect to this server.

any different suggest for me?

previousely, backup increment running normal. but after increase new virtual disk 200GB. the backup increment still running with very big data like full backup. i'm not change the job, just increase virtual disk in vCenter.

and other job running normal and no issue like this " A Full backup was run on this virtual machine, since the option to fall back to a full backup was selected. Incremental\\Differential backup methods are not supported for this virtual machine. "

note : full backup running succesfully. and then next day backup increment still running like full backup.

what's wrong i do? please inform me if i'm wrong or not best practies backup Vm.  

VJware
Level 6

Incremental / Differentials rely on CBT info. Also, there was a known issue with VMware whereupon resizing the VM causes the CBT to be calculated incorrectly.

Would recommend scheduling a downtime for this VM to reset the CBT (and this requires a reboot) and then rerun full followed by incremental.

RIDHO07
Level 4

Ok VJware, i will cordinate with my team to do this. i will inform you back.

Colin_Weaver

Just for extra info there were issues with CBT after disk resizes that are documented here

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000024029

These issues needed both specific patch levels of ESX and resets of CBT to resolve