cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup preferred server group for DAG

beragara
Level 3

Hi Everybody,

I got DAG backup configuration on Backup Exec 2k10 R2. I specified a server on backup preferred server group. There are 2 Exchange 2010 Servers in the DAG. But B.exe doesn't backup that server. B.exec always is backing up other server. How could i fix this ?

Any idea ?

Ps: Backup exec server is updated. Latest software updates have been installed.

Thanks for all your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In DAG, you select database in selection list. The database selected would have a passive/active server. In Exchange tab, you have an option of selecting whether you want active copy to be backed up or passive copy. If you select active copy there, we will go to the exchange server which has active copy of database and back it up. If you select passive copy there, we will backup whichever server has the passive copy. Now, in your scenario you have two servers, where you are left with not much choices. All you have is one active and other passive in terms of each database. Preferred server would be applicable when you have more than one passive copies available as choice. Then, if you select passive copy to be backed up from Exchange tab in backup job properties, you have the option of specifying one of the passive servers in the preferred servers node.

So, I would suggest for your setup, you dont need the option of preferred servers, instead look at the options available under Exchange tab in backup job properties. That is sufficient for a two node setup.

I hope that answers your question, if it does mark it a solution.

Thanks

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

In the backup job properties --Under the exchange tab you can rpobably specify from which server you want the backup to run i.e active or passive ..Please provide more details about the issue

VJware
Level 6

Did you specify the preferred server after creating the selection list or before ?

(When you designate a default preferred server configuration, it is not applied to existing selection lists. It is considered the default preferred server configuration for any subsequent selection lists you create.)

beragara
Level 3

What am I supposed to do now ?

I think I will create a preferred server configuration first. Then I need to make up the selection list. Am I wrong ?

beragara
Level 3

There is no any detail about this problem. I just specified a server name under the preffered server group which server i'd like to backup. However Backup exec is backing up other server. That's all, pal. I wish I could give more detail to people.

Thanks

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

In DAG, you select database in selection list. The database selected would have a passive/active server. In Exchange tab, you have an option of selecting whether you want active copy to be backed up or passive copy. If you select active copy there, we will go to the exchange server which has active copy of database and back it up. If you select passive copy there, we will backup whichever server has the passive copy. Now, in your scenario you have two servers, where you are left with not much choices. All you have is one active and other passive in terms of each database. Preferred server would be applicable when you have more than one passive copies available as choice. Then, if you select passive copy to be backed up from Exchange tab in backup job properties, you have the option of specifying one of the passive servers in the preferred servers node.

So, I would suggest for your setup, you dont need the option of preferred servers, instead look at the options available under Exchange tab in backup job properties. That is sufficient for a two node setup.

I hope that answers your question, if it does mark it a solution.

Thanks

beragara
Level 3

This is it. I just deleted the preferred server group then in Exchange tab, I selected "active copy" property so It rightly worked.

Many thanks