cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup rate suddenly dropped to 64Mb/min.

Kalle_Saarinen
Level 4
Hello,

We used to get backup rates of 250-600Mb/min on our Backup Exec system. (BE 12,5 SP2) Sometimes even 1000Mb/min! From last monday the backup rates suddenly dropped and for the last week best performace we have gotten is about 64-70Mb/min which means that a single job with our data can take 70hours to complete! NOT good! Any idea what could be the cause of this? Symantec support seems to think that this is a network issue but the performance is also as poor while backing up local media server (=not over LAN).

There has not been any changes to the BE environment for weeks.

How to debug? Any ideas?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
As a start, I normally up the Buffer Size to 1MB on my drives...this gives a bit of a performance boost.
Have there been any other system changes? Changing of switches, addition of a new antivirus, that sort of thing?
Furthermore, switch off your backup device, give it a minute, then turn it on again and rescan for the device in Windows and BE. Try running a small test job and see if that fixes it. By small I mean enough data to see whether or not your speed drops off significantly.
Another test is a test job to a B2D folder. That could point out whether or not you're facing a hardware or driver issue.

kkate
Level 5
Accredited
Hello Kalle,

Try to download & install latest drivers provided by symantec. .
It could solve your problem.
Any windows updates tooo, check for computer browser service specially!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any antivirus scanning.................
If using AOFO then are the snapshots working properly?
Please check & let me know
:)