cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup remote server to remote tape drive (BackupExec 12 / 2010)

Luke_Cassar
Level 5

Hi All,

I had a look around but could not find a simple yes/no answer to this question.

Basically I have a server in a datacenter with an attached tape library that I would like to back up with Backup Exec. I also have a server in our office which backs up the mail, AD and etc.. to a smaller tape drive.. I change this tape every day.

I would like to setup BE on the server in our office to backup the email and etc.. to the locally attached tape drive. I would then like to have seperate jobs which backup the server in the datacenter to the tape library (which is attached to that server, not the main media server) using the remote agent.

Is this possible, or must all tape devices be attached to the media server (in which case I need to seperate installs of Backup Exec to give me a media server in the data center and a media server in the office)?

Currently running BE 12.0 with plans to upgrade to 2010 soon.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The tape drive must be attached to the media server.  In your case, the one in the office.  If you want to use the server in the datacentre, then you need to install a full copy of BE on it and not a remote agent.

Just remember BE can only write to locally attached devices, be it tape or disk.  The exception is when you use Linux servers with RMAL, then the device can be attached to the Linux server, but this is not applicable in your case.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The tape drive must be attached to the media server.  In your case, the one in the office.  If you want to use the server in the datacentre, then you need to install a full copy of BE on it and not a remote agent.

Just remember BE can only write to locally attached devices, be it tape or disk.  The exception is when you use Linux servers with RMAL, then the device can be attached to the Linux server, but this is not applicable in your case.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you want to manage the jobs in one place then look at adding CASO to the environment and a media sderevr on your remoet server. Although don't do this if the link between the locations is unreliable (or a dial on demand type link)

PKH's answer is in essence correct - there is however another exception for tape drive attachment (which won't help you but should be mentioned in this thread for others). You can attach a tape drive to a Filer/NAS that is supported by our NDMP option and then do local backups to tape of that data (in addition to the RMAL option)

Luke_Cassar
Level 5

Thanks for your responses gentlemen.

Maybe I'll get a price on CASO.. otherwise it'll just be two media servers.

Regards,

Luke

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can also manage your remote server using a remote console.  You can either use the BE console in your office to logon to the BE media server in your datacentre or load up a remote console on a seperate machine to logon and manage both BE media servers.

Hi there.

I have more or less the same question.  I have noticed this solution was applicable in 2011, and was wondering if this might have changed since.

Our detailed question is the following:

5 x of our critical servers will be based in the data center, with the remainder of the servers onsite. Our tape drives have to be in the data center close to the 2x critical servers with high data volume which it will backup.

The Backup Exec server however, needs to be onsite for other backups that also need to be performed. Thus the onsite backup server must give instruction to a Veritas client based in the data center.

Then the backup of the 2x critical servers must run in the data-center directly to the tape drive connected to a server in the data center.

Thus, this backup data must not leave the data center ... the backup server onsite, must only give the instruction.

I hope this makes sense and that you can provide us with a solution.