cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup running, need to add blank tape to library

GHoneychurch
Level 2

I run into this issue all the time: I'm in the middle of a backup and every tape in our library is full. I get the 

"Use the import command to insert overwritable media that supports hardware encryption into the robotic library.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media."

warning.

So then I remove some of the full tapes from the library and add blank tapes. If the backup job wasn't running, then I could click scan (I use barcode stickers) and the tapes would appear in BE. However, because the backup is only halfway complete, I am unable to do anything with the new tapes, other than cancel the backup job, and then scan the tapes and then run the job again.

I've seen other posts with the same issue, but no answers. Is there any way to keep the job going and have BE see my new tapes?

Any help would be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You need to configure an import job within BE itself. When you get this message, and assuming there are no available media, then running an Import will pull the tapes in and make them available for use in that job.

Check the BE 2012 Admin Guide. THere is a section dealing with the creation of an import job.

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

How are you changing tapes in the library?

If you are simply opening the library door and changing tapes, then BE has no knowledge of that change.  In that case I suggest also running an import job, as you were prompted to do.  The import job doesn't actually have to do anything (as you have already changed the tapes manually), but the import job will usually run (depending upon the library, even while the backup is running), unlike other jobs (such as scan). 

I believe that BE 15 allows you to run a scan job while a backup job is running, but BE 2012 had some weird quirks due to all the UI changes.  If possible, I suggest upgrading to BE 15.

GHoneychurch
Level 2

I'm using a Quantum Superloader, and I replace the tapes by removing the casette and adding the new tapes.

The old tapes still show up in BE in their respective slots, so Import is greyed out. I'll dig deeper, but maybe an upgrade to 2015 is in order.

If I attempt to scan, the scan job sits, waiting behind the active backup job.

Thanks for the ideas.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

so Import is greyed out.

It may be grayed out under the concept that you (generally) cannot import into an occupied slot.  Older versions of BE used to assume that when you tried to import into an occupied slot that you really meant to export the current contents first, which got a bit confusing at times.

I assume that export is an available option?  Starting an export job of any number of slots (1 is fine), then removing the magazine to swap as many tapes as you want, should get the library to update it's contents and then when you acknowldge the export job alert, BE should get it's contents updated.  You may want/need to wait for the library to learn all the new contents/barcodes of all the slots (and quiet down) before you acknowledge the BE alert.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Typically smaller libraries that  have a casette or magazine of tapes may not have an import or export slot and then cannot use the import function. With libraries such as this you will have to make sure enough tapes are available when the backup jobs start as you will have to cancel running jobs in order to run an inventory if you have to remove the whole magazine of tapes to change one tape.

This if course is a good reason to invest in libries with import/export slots (sometimes called mailslots)

GHoneychurch
Level 2

Thanks for the additional information. I ended up cancelling the job, and I'm planning on upgrading next week.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Correction to my earlier comments - apparently you can run an import job without an import/export slot to update information after you have manually changed a tape in a library however I suspect you should run an export job first then change the tapes and then run an import job  (not sure of the details).