cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup scheme like Windows Shadow Copy

gointern_gointe
Level 4

Hello,

Would anybody help me to configure a backup scheme to have more restore points.

At the moment there is a full daily backup configured. It runs to a 1 TB drive. I am getting only 3 day restores while windows shadow copy has around 30 days back restore available.

Can I only configure incremental or differential backup plan to achieve this? How would I go about configuring the backup scheme?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

gointern_gointe
Level 4

Nobody wants to help me out?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I doubt that any backup product can do what you ask as a file system snapshot is NOT the equivalent of a backup in terms of the technology behind the scenes as Shadow Copies  kind of minimize how much space they use by relying on the original blocks of data still being on the file system (this is for file edits and NOT deletions of course), where a file-level backup product has to always assume no original data exists and backup the whole of an edited file.

Hence you cannot compare a file system backup product with a shadow copy process.

You could look at deduplication as an option that may help, that is if your primary concern is disk storage space AND if your 1TB disk is fixed and NOT detachable. You might even find Virtual Machine backups help (as these are at a block level too) but ONLY if your environment uses virtual machines.

As such using Incremental Backups (with a full at least once a week) and/or more storage is probably your better option.

Can I run full backup once a month and the rest of the days an incremental backup? That way there would be more backup restore points, wouldnt it?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can backup as often as you like, even hourly, provided you have sufficient storage.

Bear in mind that it is not advisable to have a long chain of backups.  If one of the incremental backups is damaged, any backup beyond that is quite useless.  It it better to have more frequent full backups and keep your backup chain short.