cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup selection list of set include items fail with error "0xe000fe3c - Before you can back up this resource, you must purchase and install a license key for the appropriate Backup Exec agent."

lbower
Level 2
Partner

Client is currently running Backup Exec 2010 R3 with all of the latest patches on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1 server with all of the latest Microsoft patches.  I ran LiveUpdate on April 18th, 2012 which downloaded and applied Hotfix 176937 (x64).  The very next backup job that ran after applying this fix failed with the error as follows:

Backup
V-79-57344-65084 - Before you can back up this resource (server.domain.local\TIMEFORCE), you must pu...
For information about how to obtain a license key, go to the following URL:
![CDATA[https://redirector.symantec.com?src=inpdt
pdt=be
action=t]]
A selection on device \\server.domain.local\Shadow?Copy?Components was skipped because of previous e...
A selection on device \\server.domain.local\System?State was skipped because of previous errors with...
V-79-57344-65084 - Before you can back up this resource (BACKUP-SVR\BKUPEXEC), you must purchase and...
For information about how to obtain a license key, go to the following URL:
![CDATA[https://redirector.symantec.com?src=inpdt
pdt=be
action=t]]
A selection on device Shadow?Copy?Components was skipped because of previous errors with the job.
A selection on device System?State was skipped because of previous errors with the job.

These two items never failed under Backup Exec 12.5 and didn't fail on 2010 R3 until I applied this hotfix.  I know you don't need a SQL license for Backup Exec to backup itself, so I'm not sure why it's throwing an error on that.  As for the "TIMEFORCE" resource, this is a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express database; that being said, it has never warranted a SQL agent license before.

As a part of my troubleshooting, I ran the Syantec Backup Exec License Assessment Tool against the media server I am seeing these errors on.  The report indicates one licensing issue but it's not related to SQL licensing issues, rather it indicates I'm using 3 Active Directory Recovery Agents.  The problem with this, is that the media server is listed as using one of the three AD recovery agent licenses, but it's not a domain controller.  I receive no warnings or errors during the backup of the two domain controllers that there is a resource or licensing issue.

Is there a way to back out Hotfix 176937 (x64) so that I can resort to it's previous build level and see if this issue goes away?  I have already deleted the selection list and created a new one, then applying it to the backup job itself; this has not resolved the issue (as referenced in TECH73334).  I also found that the agents on two remote servers were not at the same level as the media server; upgrading these two agents to the latest version has also not changed anything.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lbower
Level 2
Partner

Poor code writing is not my fault or that of my client's; I have taken this media server through several upgrades of BUE and not once has it EVER flagged me for a missing SQL agent license.  I'm losing faith in BUE; we (my coworkers and myself) have experienced another licensing issue separate from this one where Symantec's own written documentation outlines the licensing model for VTLs; now a different customer is having licensing issues and calls to Symantec yield the same results, "buy another license."  Wrong, expecially when their own documentation contadicts what we're told over the phone.  I'll guess I'll mark this as closed since there is obviously no right answer other than cough up more money.  Sad.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To backup either a SQL or a SQL Express database, you need to have a SQL Server licence.

For the Backupexec instance (2nd error), you can deselect it because BE does its own daily backup.

For the first error Timeforce, you would have to determine whether you need to back it up.  If you do, then you need to purchase a licence.  Otherwise, deselect it.

lbower
Level 2
Partner

I understand both of your comments, but the fact remains that everything was fine until this update was applied.  I have been backing up this same SQL Express DB for the last 4 years w/out a SQL license.  The BUE DB error I don't really care about, as I knew from reading other threads that the answer was to deselect the DB backup.  I can't be the only one experiencing this same issue; I'm not that lucky.  Is there a way to back out the update?  Please don't take my comments wrong pkh, I would gladly sell my client a SQL agent but that's not the point here.  Thanks for your input.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Even if you back out the update and you can backup the SQL Express instance without any errors, you are still violating the licencing terms.

lbower
Level 2
Partner

Poor code writing is not my fault or that of my client's; I have taken this media server through several upgrades of BUE and not once has it EVER flagged me for a missing SQL agent license.  I'm losing faith in BUE; we (my coworkers and myself) have experienced another licensing issue separate from this one where Symantec's own written documentation outlines the licensing model for VTLs; now a different customer is having licensing issues and calls to Symantec yield the same results, "buy another license."  Wrong, expecially when their own documentation contadicts what we're told over the phone.  I'll guess I'll mark this as closed since there is obviously no right answer other than cough up more money.  Sad.