cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup services won't restart after reboot

DebbieW
Level 2

I need help.  We are running Windows Server 2008 R2 and using Hyper-V to create Virtual Servers.  Our backup is done on external hard drives connected to the HOST server.  When I install BE 2010 R3 and use Backup to Folder everything works great UNTIL I reboot.  Once I reboot, BE can't start the services.  Nothing works like stopping all the services and trying to restart them.  I've tried everything. Only thing is to uninstall BE and reinstall it, but once again, if I reboot the server BE craps out and the services won't start.

Is this a Hyper-V issue or SQL or Backup Exec?

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you installing BE on the host or in a VM?  If it is the latter, it is not supported because you are trying to connect to real devices from a virtualised media server.

When you are trying to restart the BE services, is the service for the BKUPEXEC SQL instance started?  What are the error messages in the Windows Eventlog pertaining to the BE services?

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Is BE 2010 R3 patched with the latest hotfixes including SP 4?

DebbieW
Level 2

The BKUPEXEC SQL service is started but if you try to restart it it fails.

Application 'C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Backup Exec\{06B4D29D-D713-4EF3-B399-C4346FB84FF3}\_Setup.exe' (pid 4628) cannot be restarted - Application SID does not match Conductor SID

The description for Event ID 17120 from source MSSQL$BKUPEXEC cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

FRunCM

The description for Event ID 58068 from source Backup Exec cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

DebbieW
Level 2

No, or at least I don't believe so.  I work for a large company and they want us to stay standardized on the same release.  However, our region is the only one creating Virtual Servers.  I have 2 new VS that aren't running after a reboot.  Just to test I installed SQL 2008 Express and I've rebooted that server now 5 times and BE is still running.

Debbie

DebbieW
Level 2

We are installing it on the VM and I have talked to a Symantec Tech and he didn't say anything about BE not supposed to be running on the VM.  I do have the external hard drive added to the VM as a SCSI device.

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130609 explains If Backup Exec Media Servers can be installed on a Guest virtual machine running on an ESX server

Colin_Weaver

Just to clarify - the Technote referenced by Ananya was originally written written for 12.5 and ESX 3.5 where VMware themselves did claim that a very specific Adpatec SCSI card could be used for passthrough of tape devices. The Alternate Configuration statement  which in effect states "not officially supported but might work" was added when VMware changed their support statement in ESX 4.x for SCSI pssthrough to be the responsibility of the software vendor (which co-indicided with both customers are some of our own intrenal systems reporting really random errors when accessing physical devices as backup targets in VMs.)

The document was never written to cover Hyper-V (as Hyper-V did not provide SCSI of Fibre Channel pass through anyway (although might now do with Windows 2012 Hyper-V)

Going back to the original posters query:

With regards the tech not mentioning issues with running media servers as virtual servers, if it was described to the tech in the same way that this forum thread started then ity is possible the tech did not understand or realize you were virtualized (as you stated the disks were attached to the host without clearly stating where BE was installed he may have assumed that was also on the host). However if you could priovate message me the case number then I will  look into theadvice that was given. 

That said however Backup Exec can be installed in a virtual machine with any limitations ralting to eirher performance or access to the backup target devices as we do not support Tape drives or libraries on either SCSI or Fiber Channel; Passthrough. USB or firewire disks on Passthrough are also not supported.

We also would expect the disk targets to be inside vhd files (or possibly iSCSI attached into the VM) so it is possible if you have passed through the physical SCSI disks into the VM that this might be your problem as my guess is that it might be an untested scenario, however this would need more research to confirm as I don;t thionk we woudl expect it to have a problem (unless something else takes ownership of the SCSI drive). If you are still working with the support technician then please continue to work with him/her and they may need to escalate to next level.