cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup sharepoint services 2003

Davide_Verzerol
Level 3
Hello,

I have Windows 2003 Server with SharePoint Services 2003 (Not portal Server. I have only Sharepoint Services 2003) and SQL 2000. I have installed Veritas Windows Backup Exec 10 and Sharepoint agent.

I open a Veritas Backup Exec software, I select the backup menu from the bar on the top. At this point from the screen i expand the "locally selection" voice but below the three folder i cannot see a "sharepoint resource" voice.

I verified integrated IIS security (i have followed docs http://support.veritas.com/docs/274304).

Default web site and admin sharepoint site have checked only integrated security but i am unable to see "sharepoint resource".

_Veritas backup exec work only with sharepoint portal server 2003 or it work also with sharepoint services 2003? (I installed only sharepoint services 2003)

_If Veritas backup Exec work also with sharepoint services 2003 how i can solve "sharepoint resource problem"?

I haven't any specific error. I don't see "Sharepoint resource" voice in veritas backup exec menu.

Sharepoint Portal server isn't installed in another server.
In my domain i have only one server with Sharepoint Services (I haven't Sharepoint Portal)

Regards
11 REPLIES 11

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

It seems you try to select the sharepoint portal resource from local selections. You can instead expand the remote selections tab, therein you will find the Microsoft Sharepoint Server farms. Try to select the resource from here and verify the result.
Also ensure that the Backup Exec Service account has the 'Co-ordinator' role on the sharepoint resource.

Hope this helps. If the issue persists, do write back to the forum. In case we do not receive your update within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

P.S It seems you have posted a similar query in the following thread:
http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=48783&tstart=151

Davide_Verzerol
Level 3
Hello,

In Microsoft Sharepoint Server farms there is not any voice.
Backup Exec Service start with administrator account and Sharepoint services 2003 start with administrator account.

But the principal question that i wrote in any post is:

The software Backup Exec and sharepoint agent backup only Sharepoint Portal Server 2003 or it backup also Sharepoint Services 2003? If it backup also sharepoint services must the voice "sharepoint" is present in Backup resource screen?

This question is still not answered.

I have only one server with only Sharepoint services 2003 (NOT Portal Server 2003 ).

If Backup exec work with Sharepoint Services 2003 may i backup single document instead of full database?

Regards

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

You can Backup Share point services only.
Please refer to the following document for more details.

http://eval.veritas.com/mktginfo/products/White_Papers/Data_Protection/wp_sharepoint_portal_v2_final.pdf

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Davide_Verzerol
Level 3
Hello,

I don't understand your reply.
You say that i can backup only Sharepoint services. Is it right?
This means that i can not Backup Sharepoint Portal server 2003. Is it right?

Regards,

Neil_Goldstein
Level 3
Davide,

Your terminology is getting him confused.

The two products are "Windows Sharepoint Services" aka WSS vs. "Microsoft Sharepoint Portal Server" aka Sharepoint 2003.

So you might rephrase your questions as "How do I back up a WSS site using the Sharepoint agent?".

I hope this helps.

-Neil

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Hello,

You can backup Share point portal server 2003 as well as Windows Sharepoint services.

Additional information:-

Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services is available in Windows Server 2003 as an optional Windows Component. Since the data is stored in a SQL (MSDE) instance called SHAREPOINT (by default), the SQL data is protected by the Writer instance of
SHAREPOINT in the Backup Exec Shadow Copy Components file system.

Although a Backup Exec SQL Server Agent license is not required to use the SQL Server Writer to protect Windows SharePoint Services on Windows Server 2003, if you have a license, you can use the Backup Exec SQL Server Agent instead of the Writer to protect the data.

If you installed Windows SharePoint Services using an instance name other than SHAREPOINT, the Microsoft SQL Server Writer instance does not display as a backup selection unless you enter a serial number for the Backup Exec Agent for SQL Server.

Sharepoint 2003 icon is now displayed under MS SQL selections icon.

Unlike earlier versions of Sharepoint portal server where the sharepoint databases were shown under its own selections, the design is changed by Microsoft in Sharepoint 2003.

SPS 2003 uses either MSDE 2000 or SQL Server 2000 to store its content and information.

In addition, following white-paper may serve useful:

http://eval.veritas.com/downloads/pro/backup_exec/bews_91_sps_2003_wp.pdf

Note: Figure 1 and 2 from that above URL shows how the SPS 2003 databases are reflected in Backup Exec.

==================================
The SharePoint Agent must be installed on the media server.
-The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers (Remote Agent) must be installed on each remote SharePoint Portal Server that will be protected.
In addition,for SharePoint Portal Server 2003, the Remote Agent must be installed on each SQL server in the server farm.
-The credentials specified by the logon account used for backing up and restoring SharePoint Portal Server data must have local administrative rights on the servers where SharePoint components are installed. Additionally, to back up and restore individual documents in workspaces or backward-compatible document libraries, the account must be granted the Coordinator role in SharePoint on all folders to be accessed in the workspace or document library.

You can refer the Backup exec admin guide manual, page no # 1395 onwards for details on sharepoint portal agent

You can download the soft copy of the manual from the following link,

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269777.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Syed_Talib
Level 3
Hello
I have installed BE 10 with SPS agent too and installed Remote agent on my SPS server. All the services are running.

When I slect Backup
At bottom In the Farm; My SPS server is showing (Web server) correctly.

When I go into my SPS Server, there is share point server menu but under this menu I have some more but they are not expandable ( no more individual data base in it).

All SQL databse showing correctly.

Thanks.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Hello,

We want to know if the solution provided has helped you?
Please update us on this issue.

David_Webb_3
Not applicable
test

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

dave_Bit
Not applicable
I've same issue. I'can see any Sharepoint Component on remote server with remote agent installed, like fig.16 in http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/271716.htm.
I've BEWS10.0 full pacthed on w2k sp4, and WSS2003 on w2k3 sp1.

Thank in advance.

David

PS I've also enabled debug logging and I see
02/01/06 13:32:47 apparently SPS is NOT runningMessage was edited by:
dave Bit