cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup speed to deduplication folder

Alex_Zn
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I am concerned about speed, which i can achieve with backup to deduplication folder. I have opened case in Symantec but it under investigation through more than month and seem the end is not close. Maybe I want more than Backup Exec may give to me?

So I want to ask people here, which summary speed till backing up to deduplication folder you can achieve using your environment, please specify which Storage Subsystem are you using, which disks (SAS,NSAS,FC), RAID level and summary speed (average speed for few simultaneous backups).

My results:

EVA 6600, SATA (7200) disks, 70 MB/s

Thank you very much for your answers.

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

What are you backing up? Flat data or VMs? 70MB/s for that EVA isn't very fast, but it would also depend on the # of disks in your disk group...more disks = better performance.

Thanks!

Alex_Zn
Level 6
Partner Accredited

VMs.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Alex: are you using SAN Transport Mode during your backup of the VMs? Check below:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH155831

Thanks!

teiva-boy
Level 6

I got that with an EVA 4000 and a 4400.  I got roughly that upwards of 100MB/s with a Dell MD3000 with SAS drives.

If you want to get better throughput, you need to either use client-side dedupe and have multiple concurrent streams writing, so that your bottleneck is not the media server and it's single threaded dedupe engine. 

Or buy a real dedupe engine from an OST supported vendor.  I have had great success with DataDomain and Boost as have others here.  I have come close to saturating a 10GbE link using OST/BOOST and client direct.

Alex_Zn
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I cannot backup with a few streams, Backup Exec do not support it. Client side deduplication have not resolve my problem. Thank you very much for your answer, that is exactly what i`am waiting for.

Alex_Zn
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Bump. Guys, I still need your answers!

teiva-boy
Level 6
BE does support multiple streams. It does not support multiplexing and multistreaming. I think you are confused on the capabilities of BE. You can send multiple jobs simultaneously to disk since at least BE10d. This just a property setting on your disk target. Its been the only way to get better throughput in BE due to the lack of multiplex and multistreaming features.