cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup stays at Snapshot Processing

Afonso_Martins
Level 4
Hello,

If i want to perform a backup to a tape, the job stays at Snapshot Processing and it dosen't end. It stays hours in this state until i cancel the job.

This is a simple backup that i am trying to perform, just select a file with 5MB and i start the backup, then it starts the Snapshot Processing and it never ends until i cancel.

I have rebooted the server, but i still have this problem.

Any ideas to solve this issue?

Thank you.
8 REPLIES 8

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
A job that says snapshot processing will be using a form of the open file option.

In the backup job properties window select Advanced Open File on the left hand pane and select the option for 'Use Advanced Open File Option' on the right hand pane.

Afonso_Martins
Level 4
Thank you Perry. But, i have that option enabled.

I have solved this issue by modifing the value "number of seconds during which there can be no disk activity..." to 2. The default is 5. Do you know if this can be a problem?

Thanks,

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
First I apologize I meant to say to deselect the Use Advanced Open File Option...so I posted incorrectly in any case.

Either way it appears you found the problem is due to quiet time. The 5 seconds is an arbitrary time period and changing it to 2 seconds is acceptable. That time period, as I referred to it, is called quiet time. It is the time period in which there can be no disk activity and by default BE will wait up to 33 minutes for quiet time to be achieved. In your case it seems odd that it would sit there for hours and not eventually time out...that part is perplexing. But lowering quiet time to 2 seconds is acceptable and is a typical change when having trouble achieving 5 seconds of quiet time.

Afonso_Martins
Level 4
Perry,

I found was that when the backup stopped at "Snapshot Processing" it was happening always on the same machine. So on that machine, adjusting the "quiet time" did solved the problem.

But the backups they continue to hang and this is a second problem, i had replyed to a topic of another user at http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=73704&tstart=15 and i hope someone could help us.

All the best,

Kingsley_Mok
Level 5
Perry,

We have the latest build of BE v11d 7170.  We are also experiencing the same problem as Afonso.

One of our server sits there forever at Snap Shot Processing.  This server is our printer server and file server.  No one is in the office and the job just sits there for the entire Easter holiday weekend.

I had to cancel the job and start the job again without that server.

I will try out Afonso's solution on this.

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Kingsley,

Here is a technote that describes the "quite time"

Anti-virus or defragmentation software are usually what could cause the constant I/O activity that prevents the snapshot from occurring. 

nhbilly
Level 4
I gave up using AOFO it ran fine when I was one 9.1 but ever since the upgrade 11d backup would cause the BE agent to crap out and screw up my other jobs.

tim_groleau
Level 3
I have AOFO unchecked and am still getting stuck on the snapshot processing.