Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup strategy using Backup Exec 12.5

jjimenez
Level 4
Hi,
Im using BE 12.5.

I have  6 tasks
   3 Daily Backups (Partially Servers 1,2,3)
   2 Weekly Backups  (Full Servers 2,4)
   1 Monthly (Full server 5)

Im using 7 tapes, but I have a lot of odubts with my backup strategy.

Right now, the backups overwrites the tapes with no time protection.
I need that the info from servers 1,2,3 must be protected at least for 1 week
The info from servers 2,4, 5 must be protected for 1 month

Im reading about backup strategies, but I would like to view some suggestions based on your experience.

One last thing, If I have a tape with 400 GB of space, and my backup uses only 10 GB, and I set up a 1 month protection, all the tape is protected or only the 10 GB part from the tape.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my english.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

One last thing, If I have a tape with 400 GB of space, and my backup uses only 10 GB, and I set up a 1 month protection, all the tape is protected or only the 10 GB part from the tape.

The tape cannot be overwritten for 1 month, but if the media set allows APPEND, then the tape can be appended to for the OPP specified.  BUT, remember that when you append, the OPP is recalculated as of the time the APPEND finishes

As for your schedule

You could backup Servers 1, 2 & 3 daily in one job, to a media set with a 6 day retention

You could backup 2 & 4 with a Weekly with an OPP of 27 days 

and you could backup Server 5 in a monthly job, again to a media set with a 27 day OPP 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The tape cannot be overwritten for 1 month, but if the media set allows APPEND, then the tape can be appended to for the OPP specified.  BUT, remember that when you append, the OPP is recalculated as of the time the APPEND finishes

As for your schedule

You could backup Servers 1, 2 & 3 daily in one job, to a media set with a 6 day retention

You could backup 2 & 4 with a Weekly with an OPP of 27 days 

and you could backup Server 5 in a monthly job, again to a media set with a 27 day OPP 

jjimenez
Level 4
Thank you Ken for the explanation..

Its more clear now.