cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup taking very long

Jethro_Penny
Level 3
Hi There

I am running Backup Exec 12.5 on a windows 2000 server with a scsi tape drive.

We have our database files on another server on the network running windows server 2003 which i have installed a remote agent onto.

Under the selections it shows the remote agent server where i select the database and then on the server 2000 machine i select what i want backed up there too. The backup is then scheduled for 11pm at night however when i get in in the morning at 8am its still running. Over the weekend when noone is here the backup ran successfully but the running time was 23hours. this is obviously not going to work for us.

Is there something that i am doing wrong with the agent that its taking so long? The database files are big yes (60GB) but they shouldnt take that long should they?? When we had the database on the same machine as the backup exec and tape drive it took about 8 hours to do a backup.

Please help any advice?
5 REPLIES 5

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
If local backup was running faster and the network backup now is slow, it is something to do with network. You may want to check your network performance, by doing a test copy of 2 GB file between these machines. That would give you an idea of the throughput that you may expect when using Backup Exec to do the network transfers.

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Are the 2 machines on gigabit ethernet or 100Mbps ethernet?  The speed of the link will make a difference.  Also, the processor speed of the media server will have an influence on the speed of the backup.

Jethro_Penny
Level 3
Hi Guys

Thanks for the info. They are on a 100MB network. The processor on the remote PC running the database is a Xeon Quad Core and the other server that has the tape drive has 2 Xeon 1Ghz Processors so that shouldnt be a problem but im guessing the network speeds are too slow to handle it.

I will have to look into alternative options.

Thanks again

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I think your media server (machine with tape drive) is under-powered to handle the backup task.  It will have to communicate with the other server to back up your database.  It is already taking 8 hrs to backup the database when it is local.

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Xeon procs and quad core CPU's, and still only 100Mb?  Wow.