cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Disk (Incremental/Differential)

A_Neil
Level 2
I'm testing out the B2D portion of Backup Exec 9.0.  

I started by just selecting a folder with a few items in it, and did a FULL backup of it.  

#2 -  I added a file to that folder, and did a (Diff) and it backed up just that file.  Perfect.

#3 -  Now I decided to see what happens if I remove a few files, and do a (Diff).  Nothing.  It doesn't see any difference, so it doesn't do anything.

#4 - So then I decide, lets to a RESTORE of this folder to it's ORIGINAL form.  Works fine.

#5 - Now, I decide let's do a RESTORE of this folder with the (Diff).  When I do this, it restores the FULL backup, and the added file, plus the files I deleted.  (Not what I'm looking for)

I've also tried this using the Incrementals.  But I get the same thing.    Why does it restore the Deleted files?? Should it be doing this?   

Neil
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Differential backups do not keep track of which files are deleted.  They only backup files which are changed or added since the last backup.  This is the behaviour in your #3.

Your deleted files are already restored in #4.  When you restore the differential in #5, they are not deleted.  #5 will restore the additional files.

Your experience above is consistent with restores of full and differential backups.

After all the restores, you would need to manually delete the files that were deleted since the full backup.

To have a restore that does not restore deleted files, you would need to do synthetic backups.

If this answers your question, please mark this as the solution

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Differential backups do not keep track of which files are deleted.  They only backup files which are changed or added since the last backup.  This is the behaviour in your #3.

Your deleted files are already restored in #4.  When you restore the differential in #5, they are not deleted.  #5 will restore the additional files.

Your experience above is consistent with restores of full and differential backups.

After all the restores, you would need to manually delete the files that were deleted since the full backup.

To have a restore that does not restore deleted files, you would need to do synthetic backups.

If this answers your question, please mark this as the solution